I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

krylon paints
Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 10:39AM

I've just tried KRYLON X METALS paint on a fresh blank , WOW ! ! what cool results , it put a thin transparent coating on the blank , that shows up really nice in the light other than that it looks pretty natural (the original dark color) , you can even see the "ribs" in the blank thru the color. I've done two blanks one purple , one red , I am impressed . I top coated the color with MINWAX polyurethane for that extra shine. The paint comes in red , blue , green , & purple , and is available at most places you get spray paint , about $6. a can.Try it its pretty cool ! ! ! Larry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: krylon paints
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 01:30PM

Thanks for posting Larry. I have a customer who wants a blue "tinted" blank - not opaque, not full color change. This sounds like it will work well.

Posted by: Nick Christou (---.net.rss.rogers.com)
Date: September 16, 2010 02:08PM

Is the Krylon flexible enough to not crack when the rod is under load?
Will a coat of clear be needed?

I have also heard that paint for car bumbers is good to use.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2010 06:08PM

The Krylon fusion is ok for plastics and flexability. Hope the same is for the metalics. May have to try. Bill

Date: September 16, 2010 07:02PM

This should work really well to "tint" a rod blank , it is clear enough to see the ribs in the blank , I top coat with either MINWAX polyurethane or spar urethane , and have never seen any cracks or otherwise . Yes it is the same stuff they color chrome bumpers with.
I use it to color chrome spooms for stripers & blues . Larry

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2010 11:12PM

Krylon makes a Plastic primer spray that will allow you to put a standard spray paint on a blank - I've used it as a first coat on a couple of rods where the owner wanted a color not available in Fusion. Seems to be holding up well so far with just a thin topcoat of poly over the paint.

Date: September 20, 2010 08:34AM

Remember this is a "tint" NO undercoat needed, an undercoat will change the whole attitude of the paint job , it is also NOT FUSION it is KRYLON X METALS a transparent paint. Larry

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 08:33PM

Testors also makes "transparent" colors. They are made for model making and used on airplane and plastic car bodies and are quite flexible. Depending upon the amount of paint applied, you can achieve a subtle tint or more color. Done over a metallic under coat, you can get a "candy apple" effect!

At the suggestion of J.P. Timberlake, I have used it to tint carbon fiber grips on fly rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster