I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When does it become mine?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 02:14PM

Got a few people who dropped rods off to be wrappd a while ago, haven't been given a deposit or even heard from them, nor can I contact them for well over a year. I'm not loking to be a jerk, but it's a little frustrating having space taken up by all thes blanks, and in one case components. I have to be careful not to break anything, hope none of it gets stolen or misplaced > I will not build thse guys rods at this point so if thy evr contact me I'll just give them all thir stuff back. But I wonderd - at what point does ti become "mine"? Legally is there a time frame for somthing like this? I just want to get rid of all this stuff (I have put some of these blanks in my bedroom so they are not in the way or misplaced).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When does it become mine?
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 02:33PM

You got it bad if the blanks are in the bedroom. If you charge a storage charge the amount owed will bypass the value of the stuff. The business I`m in you notify the cust by certified mail. From that point on storage is charged and a lean is put against the items. Eventually the amount will surpass the value and the owner will sign it over or pay the price.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 02:47PM

I say if it's in the bedroom it's yours!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 02:50PM

Interesting - same here. What I did was put a "value" on the stuff (costed out the parts as best I could) blank, reel seat, guides (whatever) then finished the rods and sold them. If they have a problem I'll refund the price of the components and call it "done". I figure it's a 50/50 responsibility to make and maintain contact.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 03:52PM

If its in my hand, I own it....if its across from me and I want it, I'll own it soon....if you wanna own something, its yours for the taking.( Marcus Aurelius) ...lol

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.sub-174-201-221.myvzw.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 04:08PM

I got some space tell them is has been moved to a new location lol

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 04:22PM

Isnt possession 9 tenths of the Law.

Billy I had a place one my contract with the customer that there was a 50% deposit and balance was due upon delivery and if not picked up within 90 days the deposit would be lost and the rod sold. If it had to be shipped then payment would be required before shipping and shipping costs were their responsibility. Might be something to consider in the future.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 05:24PM

I have repaired rods that have been sitting here for well over a year!! It got so bad that recently I started having everyone sign a form stating that any rods that are NOT picked up within 30 day of completion notification that they are done will be disposed of (unless arrangements are made). I either cut them of for repair stock or donate them to school kids

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: September 13, 2010 06:12PM

If you have done any work then you automatically have what is known as a Bailee Lean and it becomes yours once you notify them of a certain time period they have to come and get the rod. This is not the same from state to state though. If you are just holding onto some parts then I am not sure any of it ever becomes yours. Check with your state attorney general office. They can tell you for sure.

Posted by: Peter G. Douma (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 07:21PM

There yours, a year is too long, Realistically, I wouldn't give them more than 3 months, that's why I charge for parts upfront, and labor later.

Peter Douma
Poseidon Custom Rods
N.E.R.B.s

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 07:34PM

I like what Mike said. Build them and donate them to charity @#$%& or give them to kids.
Either way they will be appreciated.

Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 07:59PM

I should clarify that I do a LOT of repairs and people seem to think that they can just store their stuff here until the following season. I had to finally put my foot down and say NO!!!!!!! I've never had a problem with new builds yet!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 08:02PM

Billy, I give my customers a 90 day window on a signed agreement. The agreement reads that if after 90 days the property has not been claimed (after 3rd notification of coarse) I sell them for monies owed or donate them to a local kids fishing club.

Tight lines,

JH

Date: September 13, 2010 09:12PM

Well, I haven't done ANY work on the rods yet, they just gave me the blanks, and some components - I haven't laid out a penny and zero labor. I didn't have any contracts or anything else in writing, not even e-mails. I know the second I get rid of this stuff, I'll be contated "hey how's it going on my rods", lol.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 09:30PM

"I'll be starting on them just as soon as I see some deposit $$ from you"......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 09:32PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 11:33PM

Billy,
You don't accept anything for repair unless you have a name, address,and phone number do you?
Send anyone that has had something stored for over 30 days a certified letter and tell the person that he has 10 days to notify you with respect to the disposition of the parts and or rod, or the items will go away.

Roger

Date: September 13, 2010 11:45PM

I dont' do repairs, I only build rods from blank up. Where do you suggest I send a certified letter? You have an address for these guys? I posted twice that I have no way of contacting them.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 13, 2010 11:48PM

Let them gather dust. 5-10 years from now, you can make yourself a nice rod for Christmas. By that time, all doubt will be removed as to the rightful owner.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 08:39AM

Hi Billy,

I hear what you are saying. Part of the problem is our business model. I will speak for myself. My customers are friends, fellow anglers and or friends of friends. Business is done on a more friendly basis. Yes, I like to do business this way. However, things will change on Jan. 1, 2011. A deposit will be required before your name goes on the scheduling list, this will help me better schedule my time and customers will be told I plan to build X# of rods a week so they can see how long before their rod is started. NO ROD will leave the shop until it is TOTALLY paid for! My, how they forget after they have the rod in their hands. I am rethinking other parts of my business model. Some folks may not like all the changes.

Back to your problem. I have a similar problem but different. Almost 2 years ago a gift certificate was purchased. This Christmas will be 2 years and the receiver of the gift has not contacted me. Last Christmas I contacted the purchaser and asked if I could return the money. I still have $300 sitting and waiting.

Neil

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 10:26AM

If you want to try a People Search and try to contact them ?

Or like said there yours. They do know where you are

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 10:26AM by bill boettcher.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster