I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: When does it become mine?
Posted by: Chris Richer (---.agr.gc.ca)
Date: September 14, 2010 10:26AM

After more than a year the correct response is what rod? :)) With no contact info it is going to be tough. You are going to have to balance them forgetting where they took the materials vs any hit to your reputation. I think that adding a storage fee to the final build cost when and if they show up is a given.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 11:57AM

Billy,
I guess you can just build them up (assuming you remember what they wanted) and stand them in a corner for awhile longer. At least that way the components won't get separated or scavenged for other projects. "Hmm ... I need a reel seat. That one will do"

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 12:35PM

Building them up is a FAIL. Onc you build somethign that you have to sell to someone lse the price drops significantly. specaily with high end componnts and wraps and stuff like that. Not to mention, one of the blanks is a 12' Steelhad Noodle rod that the guy wanted to use for Flounder in Texas.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 14, 2010 12:54PM

Sounds like a live and learn thing. You know what they say about friends and business.

Personally I'd have a contract that must be signed. I'd want to be paid up front for 100% of the parts. I would not allow someone else to provide parts. Or the only way I'd consider it is no warranty and tack on more labor. I doubt any car dealership is going to let you supply parts. I'd like to get 50% of the labor up front too but I don't know what the market would bear.

There needs to be a clear understanding how things are going to work out if a customer pays for parts and a deposit on labor, but then decides he doesn't want the rod (for any given reason from poor workmanship to money/health problems).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 01:00PM

OK, Billy I understand. You're definitely right. If you did that it would lose the "custom" aspect and be another rod on a rack. Next guy might not like the color or the guides or whatever.

Date: September 14, 2010 01:41PM

Ken, that's EXACTLY what happens. I built several rods for a tackle shop with wraps and bright guide wraps - the same style that everyone WOWS over. Peopl still do, but they say, wll I dont' like bright gold, I don't like EVA, the grips too long etc - so it becomes a high priced factory rod as opposed to a custom. Didn't expect that when I put them in there.

I only take parts from pople that are discontinued, such as all the blanks one of these guy gave me, all old Loomis blanks which havn't ben made since about 2002 (th othr guy gave me Fenwicks he had since probably 1980's). No warantee, and I just factor in th amount of profit that I lost on component sales into the final price. JP Timberlake also made one of them a few reel seat inserts. I hope he sees this post so he can laugh at me.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 14, 2010 01:59PM

If you decide to get rid of them I might be interested. I'd like a loomis hot shot, back bounce, or musky blank I could afford. Once upon a time Fenwick was one of my favorites.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: September 14, 2010 02:03PM

I go with Captain Neil. Make a policy clear and take a deposit. Things get very simple and you are covered legally. I would research any state or federal laws (example Bailee Lein) to make sure your policies are more stringent than the law allows (example 30 days versus 90 days) but a contract is a contract.

Tony

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 05:35PM

Take a bunich of plastic baggies. Put the components for each rod and or blank in the bag.
Ues a biner or tape to tape the bag to each of the blank.
Get a long cardboard box, Put all of the rods, blanks and baggies into the box. Put the box up in your garage and forget about it for now.
If anyone comes for a rod and or repair - dig out the rod and find the one of interest and take care of it.

For any new repairs and or builds that come in - be sure to get name address, phone number, contact location, and e-mail.

Also tell any one that has a repair and or build that after being contacted that it is finished, they have 30 days to pick up and pay or the rod will be disposed of.

In the main time, don't worry about the box of stuff in the attic of the garage.

Roger

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: September 14, 2010 06:21PM

I build several rods a year for charities like Trout unlimited and Pheasants Forever. These rods are @#$%& off and the profits go the the charity. Rod components left in my shop for a year are used and if asked, well they made a donation.

Posted by: Steve Kolb (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 11:34PM

I'd say it's yours, but more importantly how can I make that Fenwick mine? Just kidding....maybe? Haha.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 15, 2010 10:34PM

Try dexknows to find the guy. After that length of time he may have moved, died or got a devoice. What happened to your order invoice? Any way I would say it's yours. Any way if you have a Lawyer or an a account ask them. This kind of law changes from State to State. Good luck!

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: September 16, 2010 10:25AM

Just a thought Billy, but if you don't have any info on them or a work order, I'm guessing they could not prove they ever left the parts with you in the first place.

Date: September 16, 2010 10:41AM

The one who dumped the most stuff on me at the ICRBE 2009 all I know is his first name. I spoke to a friend about this, I dont' even now how I could look someone in the face if I sold their stuff that they gave me, even after 5 years, even with a contract and etc's. I dunno, it's just not me to do something like that and I'd feel like a piece of crap.

Date: September 16, 2010 11:56AM

Billy if that is the way you feel! Box it it and put in your attic and hopes he shows up. Until the forget about it and go on.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 16, 2010 12:34PM

Billy You stated that you could not look anyone in their face, if they came by to pick up their items. The fact is, it is your fault this ever happened. It appears you did not follow any professional business protocol and get the basic info (name, phone, address ect) Also it was also the parties fault for not getting any type of recite. So like I said earlier pack it up put in the attic and wait

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.c3-0.wob-ubr2.sbo-wob.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 22, 2010 12:21PM

Put up a notice on your website. State that if you are not contacted within say 90 days regarding the dropped off materials you will be disposing of them.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster