I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5 min epoxy question
Posted by: bruce la torre (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 06:14AM

Hi everybody, I have a small issue . It seems that I neglected to order five min epoxy for my first build. I purchased some (Loctite professional 5 min),
but in closer inspection it states not for prolonged contact with water. I can't find any water proof epoxy local. Should I use this for cork grips?
Gluing up rings and also attaching to the rod. What about (gorilla glue) I have tons of it.
Thank you for any responses Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 min epoxy question
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 06:40AM

I `m not so sure that a fishing rod is considered to be in prolonged contact with water(unless it went overboard).

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2010 07:14AM

It would certainly work just fine, but the 5-minute variety doesn't give you any room for error. For gluing up cork rings and handle assemblies. you're much better off with a slower curing epoxy.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 13, 2010 09:00AM

Don't you have U40 Rod Bond?? That would definitely be my choice for gluing grips to the blank. IF you are gluing your rings directly and then turning, use RB the whole way. IF you are gluing your rings to a mandrel for turning first, use Titebond 2 or 3. Available at almost any hardware store, THEN use the RB for gluing to the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 11:11AM

The Rod Bond will work very well on the rings and to the blank. Not much at all is needed just a thin coat.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 12:10PM

The Loctite will work fine ( I have used it in a pinch), but as Tom points out, it makes one hurry the process.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 12:37PM

Bruce,
Lots of folks use various brands of 5 minute epoxy who need the fast setting times of the 5 minute variety. For those folks they typically glue up each part of the handle separately. If they are gluing up a long handle, they will often do it in two stages to allow them to get it together without having the glue setup. The epoxy will hold up very well for fishing rod use. As one of the other folks pointed out, a fishing rod is not submerged. Even if a fishing rod is submerged, the epoxy glue is not normally exposed to the moistuer. i.e. the glue is on the inside of the handle, and reel seat. Not on the outside.

If you need a fast setting glue, use the 5 minute variety. If you want a slower setting glue, go with one of the glues that take longer to setup.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 12:39PM

Bruce,
Virtually all of my rod repair - i.e. splicing, fixing etc. is done with 5 minute epoxy in the interest of saving time. I have never had a failure as a result of glue failure on any of the rods.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 12:54PM

for cork rings try gorilla glue wood glue or titebond II or titebond III which are waterproof wood glues (any hardware store will have it). I don't like epoxy on cork rings cuz sometimes its too thick and can be a pain to sand off if you don't have much material to work with. i've used regular elmers wood glue on rods that have seen 4-5 seasons of consistent use with no issues as well. I use titebond II on cork duck decoys that sit submerged in water for hours on end and it will probably outlast the materials its gluing together.

regular gorilla glue will work, but it expands and gets everywhere (usually).

i wouldn't worry much about the gluing grips to the blank with regular 5 min epoxy.

Regards,
-Justin

Re: 5 min epoxy question Thank You
Posted by: bruce la torre (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2010 07:22PM

Thanks to everyone for their replies .
I now know what direction to go.
The reason for five minute is mainly to the blank.
I purchased a premade cork but i am cutting and adding some decorative rings and rubberized end caps.
If you haven't guessed its a Tennessee with sliding rings, for a float rod on a Batson XST1383F blank.
Ive done a lot of research on this site and others and everybody is great.
Hopefully I can get through without anymore snags .If I do I know where to go.
Thanks again everyone, Bruce
P.S.I'll post some pics when I'm done

Re: 5 min epoxy question Thank You
Posted by: Peter G. Douma (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2010 07:24PM

I should be fine, I always use devcon, but that is what i first used and have stuck with it.

Peter Douma
Poseidon Custom Rods
N.E.R.B.s

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 13, 2010 09:08PM

Aside from Gorilla Glue being messy, the sanding dust isn't very friendly. I would definitely use something else.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 14, 2010 09:21AM

I have used Gorilla Glue for a lot of things....the thing I don't like is that it expands when it cures....I have had some problems because of this. I would worry that if it got between the cork rings it may cause some separation. Just my .02

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 15, 2010 10:49PM

Gorilla Glue and most carpentry glues needs air to cure, Where epoxy glues uses a eternal chemical reaction to cure. Single rings I guess would be ok but bonding the grip to a blank I would believe asking for trouble. Years ago 25 plus I built a rod and used a carpenters glue to glue the grips on to the blank. 5 years later I decided to make a custom grip for the rod, Guess what when I cut the grip off, I still had tack glue and where it did dry was flaky and picked right off. The only reason it did not fail was because I had an ex-trimly tight fit to the blank. These were pre-made grips

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster