I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To CP or not CP?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-04rh16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:31AM

I have seen Tom and many others here say that they use CP on all their wraps even heavy saltwater rod wraps. In the newest edition of Rodmaker, Capt. Ballard says in his article that the strongest was to do it is to not use CP at all and just apply the epoxy right on the naked thread. Not to split hairs but is there a consensus on which is the better way for overall strength?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To CP or not CP?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:42AM

I use CP unless I am trying to match a specific look. I doubt that CP affects stregth enough to be a factor! Just my opinion

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:53AM

Thread holds the guides on - not the finish. That is to help protect from the elements.
With out CP the regular nylon will become transparent , but with CP it will look like it is from the spool.

Try it on some scrap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:11PM

I use CP on all my wraps. Any reduction in strength is minimal and not enough to affect the functionality or durability of a rod. Mike (Ballard) is correct in that if you want the very strongest guide wrap possible, don't use CP. Apply your epoxy directly to the threads. Keep in mind that Mike builders for himself and other charter boat captains who require rods that will take a ton of abuse and last for many, many years under all sorts of adverse conditions. He is attempting to get all the strength and durability he possibly can, even if it might be overkill. I think he mentioned something to that effect in the article.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:32PM

I personally generally don't care for the look that one gets with CP, so unless there is an absolute need for a color or look that can only be obtained with CP, I don't use it.

I do agree that without using CP, the epoxy tends to penetrate the thread better and help bond the thread a bit better to the blank, but there is certainly no issues with inadequate bonding for those wraps which have had CP applied.

It is really personal preference.

If you need the color of the thread to be the same color as it is on the spool, you will likely need to use CP. If, you like a more transparent look and a bit darker color than the color on the spool, then don't use CP.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 25, 2010 02:14PM

I use NCP thread and only use CP when I need to retain color of thread that's not NCP.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 02:49PM

I build all bass or walleye rods and always use CP with out an issue. If I was going after the big fish I would not use it just to be safe.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Steve Cox (173.28.0.---)
Date: August 25, 2010 04:08PM

Ken, just an interesting little side note on this. When I want to experiment with a particular set of guides and spacing, I often just wrap up the rod in question and only put two coats of CP on the guides and then go fish it. I am currently in my second month of fishing my 9', 6 wt like this, 2-3 times a week. I have two coats of Casons Crystal Clear on the guides and it has held up fine.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 04:45PM

I wrap in a host of colors, using Metro poly thread (similar to Madeira) in many of my wraps. Because the thread is silicone treated, ALL my wraps get CP.
I have used Flexcoat in the past, but I have recently been VERY happy with Cason's solvent-based.

I have never had an issue with strength (and some of my rods have taken bluefin tuna over 1,000 lbs). I still fish with rods I built 35 years ago...they are going strong.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster