I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Size C ?
Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:31AM

Is thread size C OK for "everyday use" ? I'm still learning about the sizes and uses.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Size C ?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:40AM

The most commenly used siz is A With Gudebrad no longer available, I;m not sure if C is even available.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:44AM

I saw some size C nylon variegated thread on the big @#$%& site and wondered. It is cheap but a huge spool like 2400 yards! Talk about overkill.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:48AM

I use Size C on heavier rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:49AM

A is used on most every thing except heavy salt water rods.

Plus you will find more colors in A then you will in C.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:16PM

What is the downside to using C vs. size A thread?

Threads are too distinct - do not pressent a cosmetic smooth surface.?
Added weight? Is this substantial in you are just using PG?
Fewer colors - from above

I started with C and still find it easier to wrap with than A (more forgiving) but primarily use A on my light rods.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:27PM

Richard,
The upside of using size C, is that it is much easier to use and takes less effort and fewer turns to wrap a rod.

The downside is that for most rods, thread that heavy is really not needed.

The other downside of using size C is that you don't get as "finished" a look with C, as you do with A sized thread. Due to the larger thread size, you get a bit of a ridged look to your wraps, and the wraps protrude a bit more above the rod.

For virtually any rod, size C will hold the guides on as well as size A. If you get into wrapping micros, the larger thread size on very shoft guide feet can present a bit of an issue to get a secure wrap.

The normal convention is to use smaller thread sizes to get a more finished look. But it is really up to the builder.

From a weight perspective, the weight difference will be negligible.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:57PM

What kind of rod are you building? Fly rods (00 or A), Salmon/ Steelhead, (A) Off shore (C) fish 1,000 lb and up (D). This can all change depending on the stoutness and length of a blank. Ralph OQuinn a few years ago built a few Salmon rods just using just finish and they held up

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.pubsafety.wesleyan.edu)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:50PM

UL and lighter fly rods get A, along with most freshwater rods. Saltwater rods, it will depend on the guides; I use A or B if I have it. C on heavier saltwater rods like cod and tuna jigging and popping sticks, C and D on heavier trolling/planer rods. Pac Bay has size C in a lot of colors. Most of the rods I build are heavier saltwater rods, so I use size C pretty often!

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: August 26, 2010 10:41AM

Roger,

great answer - thanks

Rick

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 11:03AM

get a fly tying magnifying lamp for your wrapping bench. make A look like D

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster