I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8' composite crankbait blank?
Posted by: Bobby Silger (---.tohcorp.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:22AM

I have a customer that wants an 8' composite crankbait blank. Any suggestions on were to find one?

Thanks
Bobby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8' composite crankbait blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:23PM

Not sure but I'll toss out the option of extending a 7 footer. It'll make the action a bit faster and the blank a bit more powerful, so you might have to back down one power to arrive at what he wants.

Posted by: Walter Neal (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 01:21PM

Take a look at mudholes MB941 7'10". I use this for deep diving crankbaits,and I love it.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 01:25PM

It is not a composite blank, but after using the Castaway 963 or 964 XP3, they make some of the best rods I have ever used for a crankbait.

Posted by: Kyle Jud (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 01:48PM

Mike Sledden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is not a composite blank, but after using the
> Castaway 963 or 964 XP3, they make some of the
> best rods I have ever used for a crankbait.

x2 These blanks have a composite feel without the composite weight. The 965 is a great blank for deep cranks. Give Swampland a holler.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 02:01PM

X3 on the Castaway 964. It's a gem!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 03:19PM

Definition problems:

Composite Is A Poor Choice of Wording - could be graphite, could be glass, could be blend

Distinct differences in the performance characteristics of crankbait blanks

A fast action crank blank will cost you fish

Get the right one - Bandit, Traps and DD22 require different blanks in the eight footers.

Do a search on this forum for "Crankbait Evolution" lot of real good infomration on all.

For detailed information on cranking rods use the Contact Us link at:

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 04:33PM

If you would like to try an 8' blank that cast like a dream, I have built and use the Batson CB80MH and like it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2010 05:32PM

A fast action crankbait rod won't cost you fish if the tip is light. This one of the requirements for good live bait rods and it puts more fish in the boat. Power and action are two different things.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 06:16PM

I am ot confused about power and action. I do not think Mr. Silger's post indicates he is talking live bait blanks but bass cranking rods. A fast action tip is soft but it also has a lock up point closer to the tip. All bass fishermen know that a crank bait rod is utilized as a shock absorber with smooth transition to the rear of the blank to keep trebel hooks engaged. That is the reason that many prefer a glass blank. Bass crankbait blanks are not fast action. Some will argue that a spinner bait is quite similar - a moving bait - they are fast action in most cases. The difference is in the hook and the nature of the hook set. Single point hooks on spinner baits require a hook set - trebel hooks on cranks do not require a defined hook set. .

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 07:47PM

I have built a bunch of deep Crankin rods on the XP3 964 and my guys love them. They think they are the ultimate Crankin Rod.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:58PM

I have a XP3 964 blank to start next. Just finished the 7'6" 904 XP3 and it is awesome!!

Posted by: sergio rimoldi (---.scansafe.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 08:20AM

Lamiglas Composite Crankbait CCB 84 5M, they are 7' blanks but I'm in the process of extending a couple of them to 8' for striper trolling rods. The action and sensitivity of the tip is great, easy to tell by the tip action what the lure is doing. Reasonable priced also as they are discontinued, the replacement is a 7'2" blank.

Posted by: Gregg Austin (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2010 11:33AM

Been fishing 2 different ones this season. Both Batson blanks. The 8' Med/Hvy popping rod {IP965) has been really nice for throwing those deep diving cranbaits. I also built one of thier new 8' cranking rods and this one is the one I like the most as the tip is just a touch softer. They both sling them baits a mile and have plenty of power as I fish water infested with Pike and Muskie so I have put them to the test with big power runs. Just my 2 cents

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster