I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Local Rod Builder Show
Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.lightspeed.tblltx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 10:58PM

Tomball , Texas

Would like to know how many, maybe who would be willing to attend and participate in a local Rod Builder's meeting or show or who could or would consider sponsoring such an item? Many of us, me included cannot make it to shows in North Carolina or the west coast. We have fishing shows in Feb here in Houston, but a group that could work together might work around here - just had to ask boys, just had to ask -

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local Rod Builder Show
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2010 07:22AM

If you know a current fishing show promoter, talk to him and see if he'd be willing to try and recruit some rod building companies, or provide space within his show for you to do it. That's how the Expo got started. If you go it on your own, expect to have to invest a lot of money to procure space and do the necessary marketing. In fact, this is the main reason there aren't many large rod building shows. Few are willing to risk the $50,000 or so that it takes to do something like this on a large scale.

You also have to face the reality that most companies are up against economic realities that makes it impossible for them to travel, attend and display at an event where only a few dozen rod builders are going to show up. On average, it takes about 150 rod builders to support just one rod building supplier that has traveled any distance to attend and display.

Of course there are a lot of other things you can do if you just want to meet other builders. Texas is loaded with custom rod builders. I know it's a big state geographically but most seem concentrated in the eastern portion. You can always test the waters by trying to have a local gathering. You could do this about anywhere, or start putting out the word that you're all going to meet at one of the fishing shows. I have about 1100 rod builders from Texas on the RodMaker subscriber list. I'd be happy to run something for you in the News section of the magazine once you have some idea of what you want to do. Just shoot me a short note about what you've got going and I'll be happy to do it. One thing is for sure, if you want something like this to happen, you have to start somewhere.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:45AM

Hi Ron,
Your email is hidden.
We would be interested in helping/attending a gathering of rodbuilders in Texas, depends on where and when.
I am also considering something here in Mountain home, Arkansas next winter.
Give me a holler.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: July 28, 2010 01:02PM

Ron,
We used to have a gathering in Houston at the Allstar plant. It was great and we would have folks from all over come. I would guess that there would be about 50 or so show up. The Allstar folks were just
great and would give us a tour of their facility and then we would have a little get together to show off what was brought for show and tell, and to eat and have some great fellowship. But, when they sold out, that was the end of that story. Several of us have talked about doing it again but we really dont have a good place to have such an event. i would be happy to attend but I dont know where or how we could put it back together. I must say that I learned a lot about blanks and how they are made. I also gathered some interesting assembly techniques to use. I think Bill Stevens like their rod tester and the technique she employed to test their rods (actually, we all did!!)

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 06:12PM

Ron
Send me your e-mail address and I will send you some info on two annual shows that happen in Houston every year. Not near as big as the ICRBE and not near as many distributors but you may find some useful info and of course you will meet some great folks. I would dearly love to go to the ICRBE and meet all of the vendors and supreme rodbuilders. I understand it is a great show
Pat Helton

patfatdaddy@gmail,com

Tom, If you think this is inappropriate please delete.
Thanks
Pat

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:12PM

There is one held here in WA. State every year for at least the last 5 years in April There was approximately 125 that showed up. There were demos. an suppliers there to answer questions about their products. The bonus was you get to meet a bunch of great gals & guys

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: July 29, 2010 08:37AM

I would bet North Carolina was closer to Texas than Washington!!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 10:53AM

With the cost of fuel I would check out my options. The drive to WA would be vary scenic

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.lightspeed.tblltx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 10:21PM

wow!! thanks for the info guys - I am going to get organized and start seeing what I can find out - I will get back to everyone soon - got a 5 day a week job ! but rods and fishing on the weekends, and some week nites too!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster