I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

painted trim bands
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 12:37AM

I hate them. But with the amount of repairs I'm doing now I'm looking for something more efficient to repair ugly sticks, etc. and not have to use the appropriate color thread to replicate the painted trim bands, I've tried Testors paint and a small brush with some success, there's got to be a better way. Anyone know how they do it at the factory? My best thought so far was to invest in some of the Prismacolor art markers. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: painted trim bands
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 02:22AM

Steve, TESTORS paint is a good match for those red and yellow bands at the end of the guide wraps on UGLY STIX. I use to use a single strand of D thread as a wick, holding it with tweezers, and dipping it in the paint and then against the rod as it spun but, it was too wimpy and had no control. Sometimes I hit my mark and sometimes I didn't.
I now use an old guitar string(the ball end of an E or B ) about four inches long. TESTORS paint is thick and when you dab the end of the string in it , you will get a tear drop size ball of paint on the end. By quickly transferring that ball of paint by lowering it on the area as the rod is spinning it will leave a thin clean line of paint. The trick is to follow the drop of paint onto the rod and hold the string against it.This helps trail the paint around the rod in one quick revolution. When your finished, just wipe the end off in a rag and your ready for the next one. Please practice on a scrap piece of blank before you attempt this on a new repair, it takes a little finesse.
Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)
Note: Dont dip the ball end of the string in the paint, thats for holding. Dip the cut end.

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 07:57AM

Did you try the testors paint markers i used them when I built models mabe that will work.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2010 08:08AM

The factories paint them on. All you have to do is tough the loaded paint brush to the spot on the rod where you want the trim band and the fast rotation takes care of the rest. One second and you're done.

Posted by: Walt Davenport (63.97.59.---)
Date: June 22, 2010 10:04AM

Most of the time when I do repairs on Ugly Sticks and a few others that use painted tags, I stop the old thread and epoxy removal just before getting into the painted tags, rewrap the new guide up to that line and apply epoxy. I lightly scuff the epoxy over the painted tags before the rewrap, works great for me.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 22, 2010 11:03AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Sometimes I am able to leave epoxy over the painted area, sometimes the epoxy is not bonded to the paint stripe and other times the paint peels right up with the epoxy.

I guess I will get ahold of the finer tipped brushed and maybe try the guitar string as well, that sounds like a good idea to keep contact with a bowed or crooked blank through the entire revoluion.

Thanks again,
Steve

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 11:40AM

My guess is that if a guy is willing to fish with an Ugly stick, he's not going to care about the painted trim band, or possibly didn't even know that there was a trim band on it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 11:45AM

I always use thread. NCP for the yellow and red should look painted

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 23, 2010 08:34AM

Steve - It's a personal thing. If they're willing to pay me to fix it, I feel obligated to do it the same way unless they say otherwise.

Bill- I've been using thread but if it was painted originally the that's what I'd like to use, especially if it's faster.

I got some nice pinpoint brushes on clearance at Michael's yesterday and they work quite well with the Testors.

Thanks all,
Steve

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 10:46AM

Steve,

I agree, I was just poking a little bit of fun at the good ol Ugly stick.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 12:18PM

I know of rod builders that do repair work and some of them offer two price levels of repair, especially on rods that have multiple colored wraps. One price for fixing it back like it was and another lesser price for one single color guide wrap. The customer has the option.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: June 23, 2010 12:55PM

Steve - I figured. Got knows there are tons of them out there and with repairs on ugly sticks alone making me almost as much money every month as custom stuff, I don't mind.

I will comply if someone just wants their rod to work again on the cheap. If they don't specify then I make it like it was and charge a fair price.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 01:00PM

Then again if thread looks a lot better then the painted - maybe he sees this and figures a complete wrap may be in order ????

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster