I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

denatured alcohol vs acetone
Posted by: Brad Young (65.244.135.---)
Date: June 20, 2010 02:50PM

Which would you prefere to use to clean up epox? Currently I am using threadmaster light on all my builds. sometimes I get finger prints on part of the blank where it should not be. I am trying to be more careful. 91% alcohol doesn't seem to get it as clean as I would like it to be. Would denatured work better than 91% or do I need to go to acetone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: denatured alcohol vs acetone
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 03:01PM

I use a lot of paper towels and alcohol Don't like Acetone. Too strong.

But clean Right after if you wait it will set and be harder to get off.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2010 03:22PM

Like Bill, I use a lot of paper towells and I have a squeeze (Catsup type ) bottle with De-natured alcohol (marked apropiately). As soon as I make the mess I clean it up.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 20, 2010 03:47PM

Isopropyl or DNA for me. Acetone is WAY too hot to be considered in my shop. What is doesn't melt, it strips. The fumes are incredibly unhealthy as well.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 04:37PM

I concur with the posts above. No Acetone for me as it will clean off more than just the epoxy. DNA works really well if you catch the mess early.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 07:31PM

I have both. I go with the DNA first and then Acetone as the last resort Each has its place.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 10:05PM

I prefer to use stuff that does not cause cancer. DNA all the way. Acetone got abolished from my shop a few years ago.

KK

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 10:30PM

Is DNA Denatured Alcohol, sorry I never heard the term before

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 11:34PM

Yes DNA is an abbreviation many use for Denatured alcohol.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2010 11:49PM

I prefer mineral spirits to acetone for rod bond cleaning. It doesnt dry as quickly as DNA, but leaves no residue. DNA or 91% isopropyl is indoors for little things cleanup. I prefer alcohol when gluing up cork grips as there is a lot less epoxy as opposed to EVA being slid down a blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 08:09AM

Sean,
I have do respectfully disagree on the use of mineral spirits for rod cleaning.
Unfortunately mineral spirits DOES leave a residue behind that is not friendly to epoxy. I will use mineral spirits for cleaning grease based stains and or finger prints. It excels at this.
But, I will then follow the mineral spirits with Alchol to remove the mineral spirits residue that are always left behind.

In addition, I always keep Xylene in the shop. When ever I use Xylene, it is always with the windows open and a fan blowing. The fumes are very toxic, but the cleaning of epoxy is much much better with Xylene than the use of Alchol.

If you check on the side of the can of Xylene, it is the recommended thinner and or cleaner for epoxy paint, as well as epoxy glues. A very very good cleaner, but it does need to be used in a well vented area. It is also a good idea to use it with gloves as well as a full rebreather mask.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 12:55AM

Some blanks do not like Acetone, Acetone can remove color in some blanks. I use 97% Denatured Alcohol mixture, 45% water 55% Acetone, lots of paper towels soaked in the mixture

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster