I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fish eyes - sort of !
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2010 11:58AM

After putting on a 3rd coat of Threadmaster Lite finish on my wraps, I am left with small shallow circular divots in the finish surface. It seems that the first 2 coats went on and cured ok but just the last thin coat left voids. Should I be able to just apply a 4th thin coat over the last one without any cleaning or prep, or is there some step I should take to up my odds of getting a smooth final coat? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Rog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fish eyes - sort of !
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 01:30PM

Take a piece of 400 grit wet or dry sand paper, put a flat piece of wood behind it and sand the surface just enough to take off the high spots. If you feel that you can't do that without exposing the thread, apply another coat of finish and after it dries do the sanding. If for some reason you do expose the thread, and you used color preserver be sure to use it again, prior to applying the finish. You also want to find out what the contaminate was that caused the fisheyes in the first place so you don't get more.

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 05:52PM

I just had the same experience, and believe I figured out the source of contamination. I use small cans of compressed air intended to dust out electronics. A full can blasting dust off a rod causes no trouble, but milking the dregs of a can does. Took a couple of sanding replays & a fresh air can to resolve.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 06:44PM

This is kind of long, but good points on finishing. To avoid fisheyes, keep your hands clean, clean razor blades and tools with alcohol. [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 20, 2010 06:57PM

Never mind ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 06:59PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 06:26AM

Did you do anything to the wrap before the last coat of finish? Was anything sprayed in the shop. Was the wrap wiped down before the finish was applied. These are the questions you need to ask yourself. Have heard of many problems introduced by wiping down the wraps before the finish goes on. When you do the sanding on the wrap use a brush to remove the dust. Do not use DNA or any other solvent as that may introduce a contaminate.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2010 06:28PM

Thanks for all the pointers! I try to keep a very clean finishing process - clean hands & tools, no solvents used, brushing off thread wraps, etc. I've only built about 20 rods but this is the first time that fisheyes of any sort have popped up. I think I'm going to have to chalk this one up to "stuff happens". My wife was "putting away" a bunch of stuff near my drying bench and..............I'll give the sanding and recoating a shot.

Thanks again for the replies.

Rog

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 12:18AM

Ether ask her to wait or you wait until she is done. Any movement will stir up dust and who knows what else. And make sure she does not polish furniture while you are finishing - Lots of fish eyes.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 01:02AM

Go with Jim's suggestion. Fish eyes was caused by some kind of external contamination. Such as oil from hands , spaying a a silicon product or having waxes around. Scented aerosol will raise havoc with finishes

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster