I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip Size
Posted by: Dave Loren (96.253.14.---)
Date: May 10, 2010 07:31AM

I have a new customer that is ordering a fly rod.This customer lives far from me and he has sent me a tracing of his casting hand. Does anyone know where I can find info on sizing a grip for this fly rod? I do turn my own grips. I saw the small bit of info in the last issue about the 19%. I'm guessing that would be the dia. of the grip?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Size
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2010 08:22AM

The information you want is in the Volume 10 #3 issue of RodMaker - Grip Ergonomics. What you read in the recent issue concerned a grip for a physically challenged individual.

If you measure from the tip of his middle finger to the bottom of the heel of his hand (first wrist crease) and figure 11% of that number, you'll have the diameter of the grip that most bio-mechanical studies have shown to be proper for the adult human hand. This will be a tad larger than what you're accustomed to seeing on most fly rods but it will be far more comfortable and less fatiguing than what is generally offered in fly rod grips

And remember, you can always remove more cork and go smaller, but it's almost impossible to put any back on.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: May 10, 2010 11:01AM

The formula you give here Tom would give me a grip of 0.853", or 22mm diameter for my hand at 200mm from the tip of my middle finger to the first wrist crease at the heel of my hand-would that be for the minimum diameter of a full wells grip or would that be for the maximum diameter of the grip? At 6'5" tall and generally thought to have big hands (very few XXL gloves fit my hands), I find that dimension small for me...most of my own grips all turned by me are about 1 1/4" diameter at the thickest part of a full wells grip and are usualy 71/2" in length. All my current fly rods are saltwater models. For other types of rods that I use such as deep jigging, trolling or big game popping, I have a hard time finding EVA more than 11/4" diameter for good grips.
I agree totaly that most grips are too thin for the average person to get good support to lessen fatigue, and that seems to be true of most types of rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 11:12AM by Earl Hamilton.

Posted by: Dave Loren (96.253.14.---)
Date: May 10, 2010 11:09AM

Thank you for your reponse. I will turn it a tad larger and if he wants it smaller then he gets it smaller.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 01:41PM

Find out what he generally uses and if the handle is too small or what ever. then make the new rod accordingly.

if you can get him to grab a hold of a few dowels of different sizes maybe at a home depot, and possibly let you know how large of a size he likes or feels good to him ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2010 01:56PM

Earl,

I'd recommend you read the article. It will answer all your questions.

You certainly wouldn't want to go any smaller if you're wanting to stay within the findings of the better ergonomics studies. By the sasme token, if you were to buy any preformed full wells grip on the market today, it wouldn't be anywhere near that large in diameter.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-100-66.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 06:35PM

Earl,

You may want to look into the carbon skinned foam grips as well. It's not at all difficult to get any size you want and they are far tougher than EVA. After doing my homework, I measured out my expensive framing hammer handle and made a mold to those dimensions. Pop the foam out of the tube, turn out the non-gripping areas to round, and there you have it. A perfectly sized and contoured grip. At 6'5", you can probably stand a bigger grip than me, and mine are 1 5/16" x 1 1/16". The shape is as important as the size. A round 1 5/16" wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable. I'll try and get a picture up soon.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 06:58PM by Jason Cosby.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: May 11, 2010 01:45AM

Hi Tom.
I would love to read the article, and many others. Sadly to get the magazine to the Philippines is just to expensive or unreliable on a regular basis. Perhaps I should order several issues and have them shipped, I could do with the reading.
Jason. I have never yet done any carbon skinned grips. I would like to, but unfortunately the materials are either not available here or are prohibitvely expensive to import. I will get round to it some day.
I have a project at the moment where I have shaved and formed a rear grip for an overhead deep jigging rod to try and improve some of the fatigue issues I have in the hand by designing in support for the palm and finger placement with a trigger seat. I used clay to form the model and then copied and modified that in hard EVA. I don't know if it works well yet, but it looks promising-I will try to put up some photos soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster