I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

classic coat lite build
Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 06:52AM

Just tried classic coat lite build for the 1st time. Got lots of bubbles with 1st batch after stirring so I threw it away and mixed a new batch. No bubbles in the mix but bubbles on the thread when applying. Mainly tiny bubbles that are hard to see but also a couple larger bubbles that appeared after a few hours on dryer. What do you guys use to eliminate bubbles in this finish? If I do a 2nd coat can I eliminate the bubbles currently in there?

Thanks
JM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: classic coat lite build
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 07:41AM

they may be coming from trapped air in the thread. Color preserver can prevent this. You can also blow air through a straw onto the epoxy as it sets, if you see bubbles forming. A second coat will not eliminate the bubbles in the first coat.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2010 08:24AM

The best remedy is not to create bubbles in the first place. If you must stir, do so slowly. Very slowly. Better yet, use a mechanical mixer. Then, when applying your epoxy, do not brush it around. Use your brush as you would a spatula - simply an application tool. Stirring and brushing are the main culprits behind bubbles, particularly those tiny micro bubbles.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 09:47AM

Thanks for the help. To my issue right now if I scuff those air bubbles with one of those green scrub pads to smooth out the bubbles, will that work and then add a 2nd coat of lite build?

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 10:23AM

If you someway open up the bubbles, the second coat will cover them. What I do most of the time is take a very sharp knife or razor blade and slice off the top portion of the bubble. WHen the second coat get applied, it fills in the bubble.

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 11:36AM

A few weeks ago I tried a few things that are consistent with Tom's statement about a spatula.
First was to cut the curved end off of a popsicle stick and sand the rough edges. Then dip the stick in the finish and hold just above the rod so that the the finish touches the rod and not the stick.
Second thing was using a small, relatively stiff brush that is used to apply flux for soldering. Used it in the same manner as the popsicle stick, then wiped the excess finish off the brush, shaped it so it was wider than a popsicle stick and let it set for 24 hours. Then used the brush again for a second coat as it then "acted" as a spatula and it applied the finish faster than the stick since it was wider.
The popsicle stick and the brush gave excellent results.

Bill Davidor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster