I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Ramps
Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 09:15AM

For those that build their epoxy ramps up with Rod Bond, do you use the original Rod Bond or the 10 minute Rod Bond? Or does it even matter? I have both, so I am ready to go.

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Ramps
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: May 10, 2010 09:24AM

Tony, if what you mean by ramps are the same as winding checks I use 5 minute. I put the rod in the lathe and while it is turning at slow speed I use a brush to "push" the 5 minute into the same shape as a winding check.
As soon as you are done put it in a dryer and in 20 minutes you are ready to go.
Buzz

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 12:15PM

Tony,

Either will work just fine. I use Rod Bond to shape the ramp and then use 5min over it while spinning on a dryer to get the perfect shape.

At one time I used just the 5min alone, but I dont think the adhesion is what it should be @ the reel seat. I've seen some of the ramps crack right at the reel seat over time and a LOT of abuse, more abuse than the rods should have seen. So I went to the RB with 5min over it and I haven't seen one crack since. I make sure to have most of the contact with the reel seat be mostly RB.

DR

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 11, 2010 04:40AM

I have had better luck using Quick Bond for epoxy ramps. It starts setting up quicker and is easier to shape with a finger dipped in denatured alcohol when it is halfway set up. I have had instances where I made the perfect epoxy ramp with regular Rod Bond and set the rod upright. I was using a Batson seat with the ridges instead of an arbor up front and the RB actually flowed into the seat leaving me a wavy ramp when I came back to check on it the next day. I despise 5-minute epoxy for epoxy ramps.

Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.pg.com)
Date: May 11, 2010 01:54PM

Can either denatured or regular alcohol be used? Or is one better than the other?

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Date: May 11, 2010 02:29PM

Regular 70% alcohol is fine to use.

DR

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.240.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2010 12:35PM

I have had good results first building a ramp with thread, then applying several coats of the same lite-build epoxy I use on the guide wrappings
- and turning on a drier, of course. This is not for those in a hurry, but it does produce a winding check which exactly matches the guide windings.

Date: May 13, 2010 01:23PM

Shew wee.....you guys makes these epoxy ramps hard. You cna take nothing but 5min epoxy and build one complete and ready for paint OR thread wrapping in less than 15min, it's that EASY to do.

Here's a pic of one done correctly: [www.rodbuilding.org]

And here's an older post of mine that I hope will help everyone:

Here's my process, short and sweet:
Sand rod and edge of reel seat with 400grit paper the entire length where the ramp will be located, wipe clean
Mix 5 minute flex-coat rod building epoxy, about 2cc's of each part (you can use Rod bond to start for better adhesion and less 5min, just shape the RB with an alcohol wet finger tip-dont wait on the RB to cure either, keep it on a dryer and lay the 5min evenly as possible right on top of the wet RB and let the dryer smooth it out for you)
Place rod in dryer and begin rotating
Dab mixed epoxy onto blank with brush or drip on with Popsicle stick and work it up to the reel seat edge never touching the RB, just stay in the 5min mix
Add as much epoxy and you can or need to that area and still keep it there as you "work" the epoxy to keep it in place as the rod is turning.
As the epoxy starts to thicken slightly, get the ramp as even as possible with you choice of tool.
When ramp starts to stay in place on it's own leave it alone.
While the rods spinning mix another 2cc's of % min and repeat process, in this application the ramp will really start to take a nice shape, when it does and starts to thicken again, LET IT BE, the dryer will "even out" the ramp FOR YOU (warming the epoxy a touch with a lighter at this stage can help thin it and smooth out a ramp IF it needs it).
While the ramp is evening itself out as the rod turns, mix your last batch of 2cc's and repeat. This 3rd epoxy step is NOT always needed!!! Depends upon how well you did with your 1st 2 coats.
Keep in mind that you WANT to leave a little room for thread or paint that will go on the ramp AS WELL AS two coats of finish epoxy!! So your ramp should be a tad SHY of coming to the edge of the reel seats LOWEST POINT.....meaning: that cut straight line that the hood rides inside, you don't want epoxy in that gully at all, it will impede the hoods movement-not good!
Once ramp is built and still warm, wrap it with thread or paint it right then, the softer epoxy in the next hour + holds the thread nicely or allows the paint to soak into the epoxy well: both are GOOD. If you use RB under the 5 min, wait until tomorrow if you plan to thread wrap the ramp.
Now lay two coats of finish over your ramp-you're done!
DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster