I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' 2wt fly rod blank?
Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 03:40PM

I have a customer who requested a 7' 2wt fly rod. The only blanks I have found so far are RL Winston (very nice but...over budget) and TFO has a nice 7'3" 2 wt which may be close enough. Does anybody know of another that would fit the bill? He wants moderate - slow action and has a bit of a low budget on this one.

Thanks

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' 2wt fly rod blank?
Date: March 10, 2010 03:41PM

PS: There is alot of 6'6" and 7'6" ones, but he wants 7' even.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 03:53PM

If he wants a slow action you could go with the Lamiglas 7' 3wt fiberglass blank. Its CCS number is below 2, so it would do well with a 2wt line.

These make great fly rods. Angler's Workshop on the left carries them.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2010 04:13PM

The ERN would not denote action, that would be the AA figure. Not sure if Bob's database has that one listed or not, but you could try.

Few of the very light line blanks have very fast actions, however, so I doubt you'd wind up with one no matter what you bought.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2010 04:15PM

Another thought - find a spinning blank with an ERN of about 1.5 to 2.5 and you'd have a good 2-weight rod for close in distances, which I assume is where he'll be using it.

Failing an ERN figure, an ultra light spinning blank rated for about 1/16th up to 1/8th ounce would work fairly well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 06:04PM

Check out the Batson blanks here []

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 06:42PM

Get a 6'6" and add a extension. Easy to do.
Mike

Date: March 10, 2010 06:44PM

I have just ordered a 6'6 2 2wt RX 7 and have to see how it is.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 10, 2010 11:04PM

Tom, You are, as always, correct about the rod action.

For the record, I didn't mean to infer that the ERN indicates that this blank is slow. It is my EXPERIENCE with these blanks that tells me that they are slow. As I recall, the action angle is in the mid-50s.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Paul Abbott (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 07:13AM

I have this rod and it comes out with an ERN of 2.08 amd an AA of 63. I did not take the frequency measurement but based on the feel of it it would be very low. This is an great small stream fly rod.

Date: March 11, 2010 10:25AM

Paul would that be the 6'6" 2wt from Batson in RX7? That is what I was thinking I would go with and if he has to have 7' (I'm not going to argue with him) I can add an extension. I would rather do that than cut down a 7'3" or 7'6".

Thanks for the advice.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Date: March 11, 2010 10:38AM

Hay Paul:

What kind of changes do you think that blank or rod would have with a added handle section of 12-13" on it
ERN and AA. Got it on the way but don't have a good CCS set up to measure.
Think it will handle a 3 wt f line.

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: March 11, 2010 03:22PM

check out dan craft he has a 7ft 1wt 2pc mod fast for under a 100.00 i have a 8ft 2wt that is a very good rod

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.sub-75-224-133.myvzw.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 04:20PM

I have built both the dan craft 7' 1wt 2pc and the lamiglas fiberglass 7' 3wt 2pc. I would assume with a short, light rod like this most casts will be rather short (30ft or less).
To me, the Lamiglas casts better at this distance with a 3wt line than a 2wt line. I even sometimes use 4wt line with this rod if I know i wont be making any long casts and am using hoppers or other large dries. This rod has what I would consider a slow action.
With the DC, it casts much better with a 2wt line or even a 3wt line. I can't cast it very well at short distances with a 1wt line, I really need a lot of line out to load that rod with the 1wt it is rated for. This rod has what I would consider a mod-fast action.
Between those two for a 2wt line (if thats what you are set on) I would choose the DC.
One more suggestion which i think would be better than either of the previous blanks would be to get a DC sig III 6'10" 3pc 1wt. I That rod casts a 1wt line very well and I think at <30' would also handle a 2wt line. had one of these but I gave it away. It's a great rod, but I enjoy fishing large dry flies and it wasn't really good for my type of fishing. I would consider this rod a moderate action. (Somewhere between the 7' DC and the Lamiglas, with the action being closer to the DC). I believe the ERN and AA is listed for all three of these blanks on the superbob CCS data page.
All of the lines I have mentioned here have been peach Cortland 444 WF or DT. The 1wt line was Corland 444 WF spring creek taper i believe.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.77.54.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 05:39PM

Cabela's PT 7 foot 3 weight should underline to a 2 weight nicely.

Eugene Moore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster