I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reamer
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 02:32PM

i'm trying to get a 4 sets reamer kits very soon.. what i see on mudhole.com and they sell for 70 dollar and jann's netcraft sell for 50 and batson sell for 60 and but there's different brand of remaer and i'm thinking of get " dream reamer " from jann's netcraft it only cost 50 and is all remear degsin just same and i want to know how long is reaner ? and do i need to get a 36 grit to put on remaer before use on cork ?
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reamer
Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 02:40PM

Josh,

Take a look at this too - it will give you another option

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers

Posted by: Scott Melancon (---.cctechnol.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 05:08PM

Yep...that is the ticket! I built one a month ago and it is amazing now that I look back and see how much time I wasted hand reaming. From 730 to 745Am this morning I mocked up 6 handles with real seats. It also makes for a nice centered ream without much worry about rotating the grip every other stroke. Just be careful not to over ream! It is very easy to get carried away!

I also had some old hand reamers that the grit was worn. I wrapped them the same way with lighter grit for precise reaming.

Scott
Fury Custom Rods

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 05:19PM

Josh,
The "Dream" Reamer sold by Jann's is the Batson Enterprises' "Dream" Reamer. The price on the Batson web site is their MSRP. Jann's is selling the same reamer set for around $43 + shipping. Mudhole is selling a reamer kit of their own design and make for about $70 plus shipping. Both reamer kits are designed to be used for cork and will also work with wood if you make wood grips.

For all of these reamers you will need to replace the strips when the grit wears down. I know that Batson sells the replacement grit strips. You can also make your own by buying sanding belts for a belt sander. The advantage of making your own is that you can use several different size grit. I have made reamers by buying solid fiber glass blanks from Batson enterprises through Angler's Workshop one on the sponsors listed on the left. You only need to cut them into pieces and then gluing the strips onto the pieces. I also glue a brass sleeve on the end so I can place it in a chuck on my lathe. I hope I have answered your question. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 06:15PM

well i dont looking for quick work and complete the cork with anythings but i'm trying to get a dream reamer is to enjoy my rod building as hobby and relaxing than speed or anythings cos i'm not a seller a rods but just to make my own rods what i need in my smalmouth bass fishing in Wisconsin and Lake Michigan
I do remmy when first time i do on tie a jig it take me forever to learn and now very skill and make 10 jigs in 30 min it's going to be same to rod building but i'm like to enjoy my building than race with the clock ..
yeah i think flexcoat has a advice of do ting as homemade reamer it does save alot of money and someday i will trying but i'm still NEW to rod buildiner and stgill like to ask alot of question and answer and the advice that help me and understand clear about hobby of rod building...
Josh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster