I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Holdin em on while test casting.
Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: March 06, 2010 01:17PM

Anybody found a safe and secure way to hold on micros while test casting? I've tried the tie wraps but it makes em feel a little heavy. Rubber tubing doesn't work when you really try to hum it and tape doesn't seem to grab to well for long either. Especially after you move it two or three times.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Holdin em on while test casting.
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 01:21PM

Greg,

I use masking tape. If you need to move the guides two or three times, put on new tape. It's worked well enough for me.

jeremy

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 01:36PM

I too use 1/4 masking tape.
Then after testing and when getting ready to wrap I replace it with 1/8 tape to provide feet clearance for the thread

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.19.80.---)
Date: March 06, 2010 04:21PM

Where did you guys get the thin tape? Also, and I guess this is a little off-topic, why am I having a problem with micros doing this? I've always used tubing when I used the regular guides say a number 6 or 8 and never had a problem. What is it about micros that make this "coming loose" more prevalent?

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 06:42PM

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2010 06:42PM

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2010 06:50PM

I buy the 1/4 inch tape from auto supply stores; it’s what auto body shops use when marking off for pin stripping cars. Then slice it narrower while on spool for the thinner and pull off as needed.

Don’t know why you are having problem. Have tried the rubber band method, but am more comfortable with the tape.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 05:48AM

Masking tape should not be your first choice.

It is common to tape on guides in the UK. Sometimes they leave the tape on while fishing.

[www.myfishcasting.com]

Select Search

Enter bag tape

Select Search All Terms

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 08:36AM

Greg,
Get the thin masking tape at auto supply stores that have a body painting section. The 1/4 inch and the 1/8th inch tape are used every day to stripe cars during the body painting process.

I agree with the other posters. If you are test casting use the 1/4 inch wide tape for a secure hold.
Then, for wrapping, use either 1/8th wide masking tape or thin elastic binders. These thin binders are normally used for dental retainers and are readily available from such sources.

If you go with the binders, it is not a bad idea to measure and record the locations of the guides on a separate paper, remove the guides, and then go over the rod - first with pain thinner to remove any masking tape residue, and then with alcohol to remove any of the paint thinner residue. Then, use the binders to hold the guides for wrapping and you won't leave any tape residue on your blank- if you feel this is an issue.

I really haven't found tape residue to be an issue and I will typically use the 1/8th inch tape to hold the micros with no issues.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 01:49PM

Posted by: Jerry D Powers (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2015 09:40AM

test reply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster