I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two Inch Short Blank???
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 09:01PM

I received a new blank today that is at least two inches shorter than its specified length. This is supposed to be a premiere quality, made in the USA blank, and it was purchased from a highly regarded sponsor of this site.

It's labeled as being the correct model, and the tip and butt are the proper size, but when I stood the blank next to a rod that is supposed to be 2" shorter than this blank, the new blank was in fact a bit shorter than the rod (and yes, I measured to confirm that it isn't the rod that is irregular.)

Is this unusual?

Thanks.

Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two Inch Short Blank???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2010 09:42PM

2 inches? Yes, that's a bit off. Generally blanks should fall within a quarter to a half inch of their advertised length. I have no idea what the QC parameters are for the company in question, but that sounds a bit far off to me.

Date: February 04, 2010 10:08PM

Tom,

I didn't use the company's name in my post because I didn't want to make an issue of what could just be a "one off" sort of thing, though this doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the quality of this particular blank, and I wonder how close to its correct action it can be. Do you suggest I contact the company, or should I go ahead and build it see how it performs?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: February 04, 2010 10:40PM

IMO, all discrepancies SHOULD be addressed, along with any and all perception issues, immediately and with the source (in this case a distributor). Open communications are the foundation of any good relationship.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 01:44AM

I'm with Jim, more than once I've had the wrong blank in the packaging.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 02:49AM

I also agree with Jim call your supplier. This should be done with any product a builder receives from a supplier and there is a question

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2010 09:42AM

Call the blank manufacturer and ask. I think they'll replace it for you. 2 inches doesn't seem like much but it can make a whale of a difference if it was trimmed short from the tip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 02:01PM

Dan,
Tom has it right.
If it was the right blank, and if 2 inches happend to get trimmed off the butt - no big deal. You can always extend it if you want.

However, if 2 inches were trimmed from the tip - and especially if the blank is supposed to have a fast or extra fast tip - the trimmed two inches would have ruined the blank.

Check with the manufacturer and find out.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 02:03PM

Dan,
Just as a double check, put a tip sizer on the tip of the rod.
You have the specifications for the rod, so you should know what the tip is supposed to be.
Most rods have a reasonably quick taper as it nears the tip of the rod.
If 2 inches had been trimmed from the tip, the tip sizer will normally show this change quite quickly.

Take care
Roger

Date: February 05, 2010 02:54PM

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke with a rep with the blank company and he is researching it. So I'm waiting for his return call, and will post the outcome.

He seemed alarmed when I told him that the blank was over two inches short, and that model number sticker, and the tip and butt diameters are all correct.

It makes you wonder that if they have a large inventory of this blank that are this short that they will soon have a "New Blank" that has been added to the line...

Dan

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 05:41PM

not sure if it was sent that way or got damaged during shipment, but here is what happened to me once. I had ordered a number of 7' one piece blanks and when I got them I found that when I removed the shipping tube end cap that a few of the blank tips were imbedd in the cap. Never thought too much about it until I got all of them out of the shipping tube and found that some of them were 2" shorter than the rest. Here is what happened. During shipping a shipping handler must have thrown the tube like like a harpoon with tip forward. When the tube hit something stopping it, the blanks kept moving forward piercing the end cap then in the shipping process were sheared off. From that point on I really make sure for the rods I ship that the butts are secured in the tube so it won't move forward if thrown like those blanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 07:07PM

I wrap well in news paper. Top Bottom and wrap them in it. They go in very snug.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 11:18PM

I tie the butt ends to that end of the shipping container, so I KNOW they won't slide forward.

Date: February 07, 2010 10:40AM

Kerry - I agree with you that securing the butt-end of a blank or rod is the best way to ship them. This blank wasn't shipped that way, but the tip was confined within a poly bag with a rubber band and tape, and it didn't appear that had gone through the bag. The PVC tube also had a ball of newspaper on each end and a foam and tape "end cap" so if the tip would have broken in transit to me it would have been in the container.

Before I called the blank company, I measured the blank more precisely and it measures 2.75 inches shorter than it should, and there are no other blanks in this line that are listed as being close to this length (6'7 1/4".) The tip doesn't have any splintering or chipping around it, and with a micrometer it measures .068" which seems about normal, if even small for a 4.5 tip? It could be that this was broken before it was shipped, but I would think that with that much of a tip missing that the tip would measure bigger than that on an extra fast action blank?

My best guess is that this was just made short. In any case, I hope to hear from the blank company rep tomorrow and have this blank replaced.

Dan

Date: February 08, 2010 01:12PM

Just got off the phone with the blank company customer service rep, and they are replacing the blank and sending UPS to pick up the old one.

He asked if I had looked for a piece of broken tip. I had looked, and had even removed the packing from the other end of the tube and there was nothing there, so it sounds like this was probably missing its tip before it was shipped.

The rep also mentioned that this was shipped in an 83" tube, which after I hung up I thought "Eighty-three inches? The blank should have been 82" and add an inch of foam and a ball of newspaper on each end of the tube, and this couldn't have been a full length blank when it was shipped."

After that I was curious and looked at the tip with a magnifying glass and it does show damage that I hadn't seen without magnification. So this does appear that it was damaged before shipment and not an odd length blank as I had originally thought. The fact that the tip appeared to be intact, and had been well secured in its packaging had thrown me, and I didn't think of it being broken prior to shipping...

Thanks to all that posted their thoughts and suggestions.

Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster