I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

matching tip for am-tack. NIMG micro titans
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 09:53AM

doing a build with NIMG titans. Hard time finding a matching braced tip. How does the finish on a SiC TFST tip (size 5) match up to the titans? have not used either before and want to make sure they match.

any other suggestions welcome - tip needs to come in a 6.0 tube. prefer a size 5 or 4

Regards,
-Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: matching tip for am-tack. NIMG micro titans
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:22AM

Some thing to consider;
Based on the size tube you need, I'm assuming this is for a heavier technique type rod. If that assumption is correct then I would go with a 6mm tip. Simply because the strength of the frame that will be needed.
The diminutive size of the smaller tips, even when braced sometimes does not hold up to the abuse a rod used for heavier purposes endures.

I already replace too many 6mm tips a year on heavier rods that are abused to consider going with smaller tips on those same types of rods.

Date: January 25, 2010 10:38AM

thats why i was trying to find a braced tip. The blank is a 7'0" lamiglass composite Hvy cranking rod - it will be used for traps in hvy weeds.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 01:13PM

I am assuming the the tube required for you blank is no larger than a 6.0 mm.

The existing Fuji Braced Micro tip will be fine for the Trap rod -

Should be in stock at all Fuji dealers.

I have not seen the new braced Amtaks smaller than a size 5.0 ring which may be available to all soon.

Date: January 25, 2010 02:19PM

thanks bill - will the fuji alconite (polished stainless) or Sic titanium frames match the titan guides. hard to tell if they are silver, chrome or "gunsmoke" in the pics and i don't have them on hand.

and yes max 6.0 tube can probably get by with a 5.5 i bet.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: January 25, 2010 03:36PM

Sure - I would be highly surprised if a real trap fisherman really cared if the tip frame matched the guides or not. I use them both - mix and match. If you feel visual matching is required use the Amtak 5.0 ring - will not make a lot of difference in performance - provides a little stronger guide frame. Sometimes that is advisable - some value the lure more than the rod - Bassin Bubbas buy $25 cranks - get em hung up - remove reel - position boat just above hang up - throw the rod down the line like a spear to knock the high dollar holographic rattling scaled natural appearing bait free - the big box stores never ask questions and replace rods - after three repairs hopefully tip only I finally figure out what is going on - he either pays, gets a salt water top or hits the door with no rod! This is one of those unsaid disadvantages of a micro rod!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2010 03:50PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: January 25, 2010 06:41PM

Thanks Bill - i hear ya about the guides. I suggested alconites, but the client i'm building for insisted on titans because he has them on another rod and didn't mind paying a little more for them - so who am i to argue? He wants it to look sharp so i just wanted to make sure the finishes on the different branded tip wouldn't look out of place before i ordered. worse case is i get it and have to order a different tip, no big deal.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: January 26, 2010 09:56AM

I have been asked to post a correction to my above post concerning a perceived disadvantage of rhe micro rods -

I should have said the micro rods provide another advantage - a scientific one -

The smaller guides reduces underwater drag that allows for a higher spear velocity - advantage - lure retrieval capability at deeper depths!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster