I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flyrod Blank recommendation
Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 08:34AM

I am going to be building 2 fly rods for my brother and his future wife. They are getting married this summer and are going on a 10 day fishing trip to Scotland. They want 9' 4 piece 4 wieghts for the trip They must be 4 pc as they will be traveling and back packing alot.

I've been looking at all types and and open to suggestions. So far I've been looking at Sage VT2, Rainshadow RX7, RX8, RX8+, Orvis, Dan Craft. They will be using these mainly with dry flies and a little nymphing. And upon return back they will be used on our local rivers here in Wisconsin and Upper Michigans inland trout.

I have built several fly rods on Forecast and Rainshadow have no complaints there. I just have never gotten a chance to cast or test any of the others. My brothers future wife is an avid fly fishing nut. She is on the water probably 200 days a year. Right now i believe she fishes with a St. Croix Avid series 5wgt I believe it is a 2 pc. My budget is around $200-250 per blank tops. All suggestions are welcome. I'm trying to provide the best bang for my buck here as I have to build 2 out of my own pocket.

Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flyrod Blank recommendation
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 09:47AM

For a 4wt for dries, I would go with the Rainshadow RX7+. Although I love the RX8 for saltwater, I think it may be a little too fast. The RX8+ is a magnificent rod, but again, I like in more in the heavier weights where you are shooting a lot of line. The RX7+ is more medium fast action and is a beautiful blank. It builds into a much prettier rod than the matte black finishes on the others. It is a chestnut brown, that really sparkles in the light. I usually built it up with green thread with gold trim. With no color preserver, it turns an emerald green which looks nice with the chestnut blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:22AM

You can also call the Batsons and they will set you up with just what you need. Good service and nice people to deal with.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:47AM

I like the Dan Craft blanks--he might even have a 5 piece available.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:08PM

Good Morning Mike,
If your future sister-inlaw likes her St. Croix, you might want to consider the St. Croix SC V and SCIV both of which come in 9 foot #4 weight 4 piece. Either are in your price range. The SCV is a gloss gallatin color and the SCIV is a spruce green. I built a SCIV 9 foot #8 weight 2 piece for a customer and I really liked the action and was impressed with the feel of the rod as well as the quality of the workmanship on the blank. These blanks are both listed as fast action. One of our sponsors, Angler's Workshop, carries them. Have fun with your projects.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 12:45PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Batson rods. I think they are the best value on the market today. Their service is Outstanding. I havn't had a problem with any of Batson products, or people.

Kirk

Date: January 25, 2010 12:58PM

Just some think to think about. Some OD years ago I had a SCIV 5 wt 9 ft --2 piece --but I did not like it unless I used it with a 6 wt line. This was some years ago so if you can get numbers on the blank just to make sure Excellant blanks The 7 wt 9 ft 2 pc casted well with the 7 wt line.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Stan Grace (174.44.170.---)
Date: January 25, 2010 02:24PM

Call Dan Craft and discuss your needs with him. You won't be sorry that you did.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Paul Enston (---.storm.ca)
Date: January 25, 2010 03:37PM

I've got a Batson RX7+4 pc. 9' 5 wt. and it is an excellent rod. It did seem to cast better with a 6 wt. line than a 5. A 4 wt. would probably work very well, and as someone else said the chestnut brown really looks good.

Date: January 25, 2010 04:20PM

it is all in the - FEEL - of the rod in your hand. it is nice to be able to cast a rod before you pick up the blank

You should be come one with the rod and line

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 25, 2010 04:21PM

it is all in the - FEEL - of the rod in your hand. it is nice to be able to cast a rod before you pick up the blank

You should be come one with the rod and line -- It is an extension of your arm !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 04:49PM

What size fish and what conditions (river, lake,etc.) will they be encountering in Scotland? A Scottish river manager told me that a 9 foot 6 weight was the rod of choice in his area. There are some serious fish in Scotland. It's a big country and I'm sure the fishing varies widely.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.87.239.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 25, 2010 05:39PM

In your price range I would look at the Sage VT2 and the St Croix SCIV I've cast both and both cast true to weight. For less you could go with the Cabela's PT+ 5 weight and under line it one size. The rod will easily handle the lighter line with it's slower action.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2010 10:20PM

Mike:
In my experience the St. Croix SCIV is an excellent product, and the St. Croix service is second to none. I have fished St. Croix blanks for over 30 years. Given your geographic location you might be swayed by doing buisness not just in the U.S.A. but close to home.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2010 12:22AM

I just finished building 4 of the 9' 4wt RX7 Forecasts for a customer to use as gifts. He and I test cast them and think they are top notch.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 26, 2010 09:36AM

Batson offers blanks that rival other blanks that cost twice or more as much. Add that to the fact that they are a sponsor here and you have one more reason to go that route.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2010 12:15AM

I've fished every brand mentioned above (except the cabelas), and I have found that the Dan Craft XL line is superior to ANY of the other models mentioned. It will cast a determined line both far and short with ease. More affordable than the Sage or St. Croix. The Dan Craft's are a smaller in diameter, thicker walled - Lighter in weight and straighter than the Sage, St. Croix or Batsons - in their comparable 4 wts.

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.nccr.epa.gov)
Date: March 02, 2010 02:04PM

Let me add another possibility if it is not too late. Consider the Dan Craft 6 piece FTL series. They would be more compact for backpacking and you really would not give up anything with respect to performance. I have the 5 weight which I took to Montana this year and it was great. I don't even think of it as 6 piece rod. I recently built the 6 weight and while I have not yet fished it, it is also a really nice rod. Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster