I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
batson blanks
Posted by: ron yates (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 12:21PM

i recently built on two batson blanks which took app 40 hours of my time.only to have them break within 20 min of one another one 8"and the otker 12"from the tip has anybody else had this problem. in 55 years of building rods i never had a rod break on. me trouble is i really liked this blank,but im afraid to ever try them again.....ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: batson blanks
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 12:31PM

What blank, what application, how did they break? Not near enough info. I've built many rods on Batson RX7 blanks. I have purposely high sticked a few of them and never broke any. I find them to be very tough blanks.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 12:32PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 11, 2009 12:31PM

I am going to assume that you didn't stress test them before building. IF that's the case, start doing so. IF that's not the case, look for another culprit ... transport injury, guide prep/wrapping issues, etc.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that blanks are always factory fresh and just right, it definitely isn't the norm for any manufacturer/distributor. Batson imports a product that is just as viable as any other.

Date: October 11, 2009 12:48PM

they were isb 780 and yes i stressed them as i've done all my rods for over 50 years i'm just asking a question. if you read my post i have never had a rod break on me and was wondering if this was an isolated problem or an on going one. im not bad mouthing batson simply asking a question.....ron

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2009 01:19PM

Batson's products are known entities and have proven to be excellent. If no abuse was present, then my first assumption is that both blanks were somehow damaged in shipping, assembly or transport to the water for use. The fact that they both broke in nearly the same place points to some sort of impact, somewhere down the line, in shipping, transporting, etc.

Please contact Bill or Karry Batson. These are good people who will work with you on a solution.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 01:22PM

Hi Ron,
I build primarily on Batson Blanks. I have never had trouble with them. I fish with an IF908 on the Kenai river. It has a very strong current so you have to drag them out of it or you will get spooled. I have fished it hard from day one and never had a problem with it. I would contact Batson to see what they think.

Kirk

Date: October 11, 2009 02:45PM

hey kirk............this is a reply to you barring all incidents that could have happened it wasn;t shipping or anything logical i got them from angler's warehouse and they were packed great.this was something technicial improper resin ect ect.i rolled blanks in high school part time for conlon.my question simply was to find out if anybody else experinced this problem,or did i get a bad batch.i contacted batson they were not interested in getting the broken blanks back (which confused me) iwould have wanted to see them but they wanted to replace them "i declined".i was curious to wheather this was an isolated incident or could i use them again..............ron

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 03:30PM

They wanted to replace them .. . and you declined? Please tell, why??
Assuming this was not a normal fault of those blanks you would have the rods you wanted in the first place, albeit for some labor time on your part, but still.
I am glad to hear Batson standing behind their product. The blanks I have used I thought were just great!

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.125-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2009 03:48PM

I use Batson blanks about 75% of the time and have had no problems with them at all. In fact they are the most consistent in quality of any I use. Yours were the exception to the rule. I wouldn't be afraid to use them in the future. I may have misunderstood your post due to the unusual punctuation and capitalization, but, I too am curious as to why you wouldn't want them to replace the blanks.

Date: October 11, 2009 04:32PM

after building both for a friend, and inviting him on my boat to try them out i was embarresed to watch both of them break on the first fish hooked.so until i found the problem, which i dont think i'll find on this forum.i did not ask this question to be cross-examined.but to see if this has happened to anybody else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 05:27PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 11, 2009 04:46PM

Ron -

Let's start by saying that I am definitely not trying to make this into something personal. But here's the deal ... take the manufacturer and blank model COMPLETELY out of the equation and look at it in the simplest of terms.

IF a blank is properly stress tested before building AND you didn't do anything wrong during the build AND you didn't do anything to damage the blanks during transport ... they wouldn't break under normal, and even beyond normal, use. It is just that easy.

Batson doesn't need my defense and I don't even use their products ... however, fair is fair. According to your own admission of pre-testing the product, they obviously built a proper blank.

BTW, even if you didn't want to rebuild on the blanks, I am somewhat confused that you wouldn't want to at least accept them and donate them to someone who would. Again, Batson makes completely viable products AND they stand behind them.

Although occasionally things do get out of hand on any forum, this is the finest group of folks that you will ever meet. I don't believe for a minute that anyone wanted to do a bit more than assist you.

Have a nice day.

Jim -

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 04:51PM

I use quite a few Batson blanks. I have broken one blank to date. An XSB843....about 10" from the tip, but I would hardly call it an epidemic with Batson products.....if people were breaking them left and right people on here would know about it. And dude....it really makes no sense to "decline" their offer to replace the blanks...I don't think that impresses anyone.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 04:58PM

From your posts it seems like you only wanted to hear if anyone else had bad experiences with their blanks. Most who replied were very satisfied and didn't have any problems to report back to you. You may have run into a couple of blanks with defects in them but the Batson's were good enough to back their products 100% and offered to send you some new blanks at no cost to you. You would even save on shipping the broken blanks back but you declined. I don't know what more you would want from them. Why not take them up on it and go and build you a couple of more rods ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 05:03PM by Lance Dupre.

Date: October 11, 2009 05:27PM

No, you won't find the answer to the breakage on this forum nor any other for that matter. They were most likely damaged in shipping (they were shipped several times, to Batson, from Batson to a distributor, to a dealer, to you, etc.) But even that remains a guess. No one here has seen your blanks nor the actual breaks.

I don't allow personal insults and have already removed several posts in this thread. I'm not going to allow anyone to undermine the friendly and helpful nature of this forum.

Date: October 11, 2009 06:43PM

tom.....i am not looking for an awnser to the breakage.but rather if any one else has experinced the same problem, a simple yes or no would have surficed.but yet all i received was directions on how to do things.or defending batson,when in all respect i was tring to find out if this was an isolated event or an ongoing problem because i liked there blanks. and if it were not an ongoing problem would try them again i am not going to use your forum again.but go back and reread my posts.i asked what i thoughtwas a simple question and got a lot of rash awnsers outside of yourself and kirk miller.........................ron

Date: October 11, 2009 07:21PM

What you got, was guys telling you that, no, they had not had any such problem with Batson blanks and that it was not any sort of "ongoing problem."

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 08:16PM

Don't blame the forum! You asked a question and received a number of answers to it. None of them accused you of "bad mouthing Batson."

You did seem to set your self up as an expert based upon part time rod making for Conolon in high school over 50 years ago. Don't have any idea what the material was, but it sure wasn't graphite. There are lots of reasons rods break, and with graphite, most of the time it is due to some surface damage that has gone undetected prior to the stress that breaks it.

Batson's response was as one would expect, and your choice of turning it down seems to indicate some hard feelings.

I have built many fly rods on Batson blanks and to my knowledge not one has broken to date.

Give the forum another chance, there is a font of knowledge out there that can be tapped into!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 08:46PM

ron yates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tom.....i am not looking for an awnser to the
> breakage.but rather if any one else has
> experinced the same problem, a simple yes or no
> would have surficed.but yet all i received was
> directions on how to do things.or defending
> batson,when in all respect i was tring to find out
> if this was an isolated event or an ongoing
> problem because i liked there blanks. and if it
> were not an ongoing problem would try them again i
> am not going to use your forum again.but go back
> and reread my posts.i asked what i thoughtwas a
> simple question and got a lot of rash awnsers
> outside of yourself and kirk
> miller.........................ron

Ron - You say "all i received was directions on how to do things.or defending batson". Read the first response you got. I simply stated that you did not give anyone any info to go on, and went on to say that in my experience they are tough blanks and I haven't had any breaks.

"What blank, what application, how did they break? Not near enough info. I've built many rods on Batson RX7 blanks. I have purposely high sticked a few of them and never broke any. I find them to be very tough blanks."

And it makes no sense to me that you are "not looking for an awnser to the breakage". For what it's worth, I've built several ISB780s and 781s with no trouble at all. It is possible that you had a bad batch, or that they were damaged in shipping. But, then, since you stress tested them prior to building them you would have found the damage and saved some work. I actually saw one of my 781s bent 180 degrees by a guest in the boat and it did not break.

Chuck

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 09:54PM

I have been building rods for over 30 years As a business shop owner. An over the years I have personally broken Sage, Lamiglas, Gloomis, Batson and other graphite blank man. Guess what It was me who missed up not the manufacture. Not paying attention to simple details , like guide prep.. If anyone on this thread says they never have broken a rod caused by something they did. I would say they were lucky. Todays world of rod building is whole new ball game. New materials come out every year. Hey remember when Shakespeare came out with that indestructible rod. That rod also broke

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2009 10:47PM

I killed a couple of my early graphite rods due to wrapping too tight. Found out that glass was a bit more forgiving when you do that unintentionally as I still have that rod and its fine. This was long long ago. Live and learn.

This is not meant to be any sort of attack, but it is possible that you are just a little harder on blanks than you thought, not intentionally so. If that blank has less of a comfort level built into it, ie tighter to specifications and used outside them becomes an issue, maybe bumping up to a 781 would be a better option for you. Just a thought.

The fact that Batson offered to replace them for you simply shows the sort of company they are. For the record I use ONE, yes ONE product produced by them. It's a Centra-lock reel seat. (Great seat by the way)

I'm not trying to make this out to be your fault, although it does sound like it (sorry about that). The best advice you have gotten is to give them a call and truly discuss the issue you are having. They are always more than willing to help anyone with anything related to rod building.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster