I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Missing ferrule plugs
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:01AM

I just bought a "closeout" 4pc 8wt fly rod, and noticed that it did not come with rubber plugs for the male ferrules. Are those plugs necessary, from a structural standpoint?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missing ferrule plugs
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:04AM

I don't think so, though I put a bit of my Rod Bond that's left over from installing the reel seat and grip in all the male ends to keep out debris and give a finished look.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:07AM

Sort of. A tube is pretty sturdy, except at the ends where the openings are. Flexing at that point can cause minute cracks that get worse over time. It's not imperative that you have those plugs, but it's easy to make them with Rod Bond or a little cone of firm EVA. Take a piece of brass tubing and punch out something just a little larger than the opening, compress, insert and glue in place and you're set to go.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:17AM

George,
Whenever I have a two piece blank and is in need of an end plug, I simply make one out of a solid piece of graphite or fiberglass.
I will take a piece of solid blank and chuck it into my drill. Then, using a desk top belt sander, I will sand down the blank so that it is a nice fit into the end of the blank.
A bit of 5 minute epoxy will secure the plug.
Then, I use my cut off wheel to trim the plug flush with the end of the blank. No worry about having the end of the blank crush in the other portion of the blank under stress.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:29AM

Thanks, guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster