I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod building
Posted by: justin-kimmel (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:49AM

i enjoy fishing and would like to build my own rod,but i'm just wondering if its all worth it in the end. i can buy a rod for cheaper than making my own rod.i would alo like to know if rod building is a profitable market??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod building
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:56AM

You can always obtain a cheaper product by buying something off the shelf. But it would be difficult to buy a better product than you can make yourself, provided you arm yourself with good information and proceed carefully.

As far as rod building being a profitable market - no, for most it's not. Hanging out a shingle and expecting people to beat a path to your door asking for custom rods is unreasonable. That won't happen. However, if you're prepared to spend some time learning and honing your skills, and embark on an effective marketing campaign aimed at the right clientele, in a few years you might be able to make a little money from custom rod building. Like anything else - it doesn't just happen. You have to make it happen and that will require some investment in both time and money on your part.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:07AM

My son's saying "Cheap rods aren't good / Good rods aren't cheap". You can certainly purchase a rod cheaper than you can make it - well most of the time. Will it have the best components -maybe yes but probably not. Will it be set up the way you want it (handle length; handle diameter) maybe yes but most probably not. Will something as immaterial as the colors of the wraps be to your liking - maybe yes or no. Sometimes it's the small things that count.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:26AM

You can definately buy a rod off the shelf for less. You may or may not take to it right away. I know guys that fish store rods and that is probably all they fish. Building custom rods isn't cheap, and not very profitable. It is fun though. You have endless oppoirtunity to make the rod "YOURS" Your the one that picks out all the components, colors, and then decides on the guide placement (through test casting) as well as how the rod is finished. If you can afford to get into rodbuilding I say definately do it. There are endless psoibilities for putting a rod together and there isn't a better feeling in the world than catching your first fish on a rod you built.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:30AM

It's hard to build 1 cheaper than you can buy it, however as it has been mentioned a production rod will most liekly be less than desired. You can pick your guide wraps to match your boat color scheme. You can make the grips to fit your hand and not a generic shape.You have the power to choose the best available components for your specific application. Most importantly, there are very few feelings as wonderful as battling AND landing a true trophyon a peice of equipment you designed and built. Or watching a friend do the same.
As far as making money at it, it takes time and effort to find your customer base. If you have the funds and the confidence t o make a go at it then by all means go for it. Just don't quit your day job.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c004.g4.mrt.starband.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 11:09AM

Being very new to this endeavor, I can assure you it will cost more $$ to make your first rod than you will spend "over the counter", but the extreme satisfaction of catching fish on a rod you built can not be valued. And you will be able to make the rod to meet your own special needs. OTC rods are what someone else thinks will sell, not necessarily what will best work for you and your own style of fishing. Besides, what else can you do when you can't go fishing?

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 08, 2009 11:25AM

It became worth it again to me this weekend when i went down to Orange Beach AL to fish. Same 8 1/2 ft rod length as most the folks there use. Standing next to a group of semi pro Vietnamese fishermen (they sell their catch is the local gossip) and with smaller weights I was able to reach the feeding bluefish and hookup into them. So much so they came over to ask how i was getting out to them. Will they buy a rod from me? Doubt it, but one other guy there took my card and i think he wants a rod.
Out catching those semi pros was reward enough in my book.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 11:36AM

Besides everything else said already, you might find that you enjoy rod building and make it a regular hobby. Its worth it just for the fun and satisfaction in my book.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 12:26PM

Rod building is cheaper than Valium, Prozac, an alcohol addiction, and more satisfying than any of those. For me, it serves a similar purpose: it calms me, allows me to focus, be creative, and produce something of beauty, value and usefulness to boot. I don't get that same effect from buying a rod off the shelf.
I believe that about 40% of the fishing population would like to own custom rods. Perhaps 2% actually need them. I suspect that fewer than 5% actually own them. While 5% is a small percentage, it is a huge number when you consider how many people fish. Still, I would venture that few if any of the builders here began building to make money. For some, it evolved into that. For others, just building a unique, personalized rod for themselves, family or friends is enough reward.
I began building 35 years ago because as much as I liked custom rods, they were pretty expensive. I have very long arms and huge hands, and I needed salt water boat rods with extended fore grips. Building my own was the only way to go. Friends who fished with me liked my rods, asked me to build for them, told their friends, and a profitable side business was born. But the motivation was never money when I began. My suggestion is to decide what you would like to own for a rod, buy the components, and build it. Mudhole, Cabelas, Jann's Netcraft and others offer complete kits. Give it a try. The worst thing that will happen is you will end up with a rod you built with your own hands. Beyond that, anything is possible.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 06:26PM

Justin Tom gave you some sound advice as will as others who posted. As for taking a hobby as some have done and making it a profitable business. That is up to the individual. First and foremost know the products you are using inside and out. That requires lots of reading, going to seminars and talking to manufactures and other builders. Now you have to establish your self. 34 plus years ago, I started out just repairing rods at home at that time no one really shared and there was vary little information out there, except a few books by Dale Clemons and Fenwick. I started building rods for myself and the word got out I made a descent plan Jan rod.After four years at home I decided I wanted to open up a custom rod shop. I thought I knew every thing, I was not prepared for the on slot. I burned up the telephone line getting more info. I was reading day and night. I was stealing Peter to pay Paul for the first 4 years. By now I had a good inventory and new what the locals and outside fishermen were looking for ( DO NOT DEPEND ON FRIENDS AND RELATIVES) to help pay the bill they are all looking for a big savings. In this business things change monthly so you have to be prepared what is coming on. In todays INTERNET there is no such thing as an average fisherman. Todays fishermen are well informed. I was lucky where y shop was located I was 1/2 hour from the Blue Pacific in Washington State and had 4 major rivers plus a few lakes. So fishing was almost year around. Knowing this when I first opened my shop I designed a single rod for each fish I fished for. Be it Sturgeon, Salmon, Steelhead or trout. That changed over the years. I know own 8 rod per fish. Next you have to consider advertising. A simple phone add well do. Stay away from news paper adds, Radio or give away adds you well loose your shirt. ( that is why it is called a lost leader in advertising.). Being where I was located I was always getting call about where did I expect the best fishing and what should I use. I was fortunate and had a local weekly State fishing and Hunting paper hire for fishing reports. In my fishing articles I always gave a suggestion on how to take care of your rod and what to look for when purchasing a new rod. I did this without advertising my shop. I just used my shops phone number. I always found a way to get on a local radio fishing program on Sunday night and call in a fishing report. Knowing the host helped. But once a month he would say Bob how is it you are up on all the fishing in your area and you are not even a guide. Will that was my lead to advertise my shop. What you would find in my shop was lots of rods, some were being repaired, some were being specially designed and a few factory rods. I sold no bait or tackle. I just sold my self and my rods. I made a good living at it. (No competition with in 40 miles) I retired 8 years ago I think. I made a good living, it allowed me to meet some fantastic people a go fishing when the urge hit me. At fist I starved and ate lots of beans. Today I own lots of toys. Like the song says, WHEN I DIE . Will one thing is for sure my kids and grand kids are going to get lots of fishing rods

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2009 07:21PM

Justin,

I think everything has been covered except the fact that there will never be another one exactly like the one you built.

Good luck,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: October 08, 2009 08:12PM

Good point Bill!! Also what ever you build can not be copy cated. It is a one of a kind because you designed and made it

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 11:50AM

You could ask, "Is it cheaper to go fishing, or just buy a fish?" Are you into fishing as a cheap way to put food on the table? Or as a sport / hobby that you find relaxing and or enjoyable. Then again, "Is it cheaper to buy my own boat, gear, bait, tackle, etceteras . . . or just hire a guide?"

I can't think of the last time a fishing buddy talked about how much money they spent relative to how many fish got put in the freezer. Usually it is more along the lines of how many they hooked, how big they were, how many got off the hook, how long it took to land the fish, surprises along the way, what sort of day it was to go fishing, how good / bad the bite was compared to some other time they went fishing.

I have only built a few rods myself, but the advice above about catching a fish or watching a friend / son / daughter / wife / father catch a fish on a rod you built is hard to overstate. Some things you can't buy. That is not to say money is not an object, for most folks it is, but that is not the driver.
Just my two cents . . .

Date: October 10, 2009 01:10PM

That is why it is called fishing and not Chechen. LOL When ever you hook a fish that is a bonus and if you bring it in and take it home that is a double bonus.One also must remember some fishermen just want to hook up and release (no kill) Just to relax

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster