I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing thread master
Posted by: Robert Johnston (208.51.49.---)
Date: June 22, 2009 11:21PM

I have some guides that I put on with thread master finish and now I would like to re position some of them does any one know how to to remove thread master finish it is on a lamiglass xmg50 blank. Can this be done with out damage to the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing thread master
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2009 12:09AM

Yes, I have done the same thing with thread master finish. First, make you cut into the finish on the top of the guide foot, so you don't nick the blank finish. Use your fingernail to open up the nick and just unwind the thread and the the finish will go with it. Any left over finish can be scraped off using your fingernail and some mild heat from a heat gun, a little heat goes a long way and will soften the finish just enough to make the removal easy. I also found that a product called "bumple fly tyers thinner will remove the final small amounts of finish left. I have done this several times with good results. The fly tying thinner can be found in just about any fly shop that sells fly tying materials. Unfortunately the stuff doesn't have a breakdown on the bottle telling you what is in it. I do know that it won't hurt the finish of the blank. Another neat trick if you can still see the area where the previous guide wrap was is too take some car wax polish, the paste kind and put a little on the area, let it dry and buff the area with a soft cloth. The polish will soften the blank finish just enough to blend it back to the rest of the blank. Just make sure you clean the area with some Iso Alcohol before you re wrap the guide so the blank is free of any chemicals left by the wax. The wax thing also works great for polishing up old blanks.

Re: removing thread master
Posted by: Robert Johnston (208.51.49.---)
Date: June 23, 2009 12:51AM

thank you bill that pretty much wraps it up(pun)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster