I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9Wt 4 piece flyrod as spinning rod...questions...
Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 27, 2009 01:57AM

I'm disabled and like to fish from the creek bank. I would like a longer rod to help get over brush and roots. I'm looking at the lamiglass XMG 50 9wt 4 piece blank. They are said to be extra fast to "ultra fast" so it would be about a moderate action spinning rod I would guess. I know the warrenty won't be good but thats not a concern. Mostly I was wanting some feedback on what weight lures this rod would cast.

Has anyone set up a "heavy" rod like this as a "spin/fly"? I know its done with lighter rods but never hear of it done with a 9 wt before. Hey its late and my mind is running wild here hahahah. I could put two reelseats on it. one for the fly and one for a spinning rod. Now that would be so cooooooool!

Any comments about how screwy this idea is please fire away! Thanks! Love this site. Billy Russell out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9Wt 4 piece flyrod as spinning rod...questions...
Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 06:11AM

Billy,

f I'm understanding the conversions correctly (divide the line weight rating by 16), a 9 wt. rod would rate for 1/2 to 5/8 oz. lures. Fairly stout, but maybe right depending on your terminal rig. Rather than 2 reel seats, how about a long (12"-16") Tennessee style handle? Used in Europe quite a lot on the long rods, and would give you good leverage for casting, as well as allowing you to put the reel wherever you want it. If you use spinning guides for your build, the rod will be a tad slower than an equivalent fly rod build due to the extra weight, but probably not so much so as to be a problem.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2009 07:46AM

The trouble with that formula, is that it assumes that fly rod makers all build their 4-weights (or any other weight) to a particular power standard. They don't.

It might work as Peter suggests, but it may be much more powerful than that as most modern 9-weight rods are made to cast 4-weight lines at much more than 30 to 40 feet. Don't be surprised if it takes a good 3/4 ounce of lure weight to get much distance.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 27, 2009 02:59PM

Haven't used or CC'd that particular blank, but my other Lamiglas rods, incuding a XMG50 9 ft 6 in 7 wt and 9 ft 8 wt are pretty close to the line rating when CC'd. Steelhead rods that carry a line/lure rating that Peter and Tom mentioned usually CC in the 11 to 15 wt fly blank range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 03:17PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 04:05PM

I did that exact thing with an Amtak Matrix AMF908-4, which CC'd around ERN of 10 and AA of 70. I use it to cast bass lures sometimes and to flip out light stuff in the surf. I would say it works very well with things in the 1/2 ounce range. You are correct that it is not as fast as a spinning blank, but it works well for what I built it to be.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 02:13PM

I would opt for a 6 or 7 weight. I did a spinning rod a while back with a 8 ft 5 wt fast action blank and it does very well with 1/32 to 1/8 ounce jigs with spinners. if you are going after panfish I would expect a extra fast 9 wt would be a little heavy. I have a fast 9' 9 wt and it is almost impossible to fish for bluegill with because it sends the smaller fish flying through the air with even the slightest hook set with a 9 wt fly line, take the line weight out of the equation and it would be VERY stiff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster