I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

starting a wrap
Posted by: Walt Lukowski (151.145.238.---)
Date: May 27, 2009 12:59AM

I was ok wraping with the thread comming up from underneath, now iI have a renzetti wraper from the top and i am having an big problem starting the wrap. I watched Tom at the show and I still did not get it. Is there any pictures of how to start or an artical?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starting a wrap
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 01:40AM

Try using a large diameter blank or PVC tube to practice. IF oyu're usin a small diameter blank it might be tough to learn on.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 05:15AM

When I teach I always get my students to do two turns before the crossover. Renzetti is the best product on the market walt but one criticsm I had of them is there really is very little in the way of direction. Best advice though is HANG IN THERE WHEN YOU GET FRUSTRATED TAKE A BRAKE. after awhile you will get the nack and wonder how you ever did it "upside down". Also try moving that arm as high as it will go and start with tight thread tension. I helps to lock it down tighter on the begining wrap. If you live anywhere near sw f;orida I would give you a one on one in my shop.

Posted by: Walt Lukowski (151.145.238.---)
Date: May 27, 2009 05:17AM

Good advice, Thank you all
walt

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2009 07:47AM

The photos in the book I did for Amato were taken with the thread coming over the top and from behind. If you have it, refresh your memory from there.

I think once you get a couple started you'll have it down for good.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: May 27, 2009 09:29AM

Walt I use a Renzetti and what works best for me is a two hand method.

1. Bring the thread over the top and around back to you,
2. Pull the thread taught, this should bring the spring arm up to the mid point or so,
3. Work the thread to your starting point making sure it is in a straight line around the rod,
4. With one hand holding the thread tag end use the other hand to grab the thread above the rod and lay it over the thread on top of the rod. At this point the “Key” is to place your thumb on top of this overlap.
5. As you “lightly” press the peddle (a crawl!!), allow the rod to start moving with your thumb still in place, the rod will roll under your thumb keeping tension on top of the thread.
6. Once you make a full revolution and have two over wraps you remove your thumb and keep wrapping.

I hope this helps. As you get more experienced you will come up with your own way.

Gabe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 09:30AM by Gabe Neal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 09:58AM

Walt,
Whenever starting a wrap, I simply take a short piece of tape to hold the tag end of the thread to the blank.
This leaves both your hands free to work with the thread or whatever else.
After getting about 4 or 5 wraps over the thread, I grab the tag end and continue to wrap, to bring the wraps down to the starting point of the guide wraps. Then, I trim the tag end and proceed with the guide wrap.
Very quick and simple.

I used to try to hold onto the tag end with a finger, but found it was so much easier to tape down the tag end before starting, that I have continued that way and never looked back.

I just use 1/4 inch masking tape to attach the tag ends. I just snip off a bunch of short lengths and attach them to the bench to have them on hand as I work down the rod.
It is fine for folks that don't use tape to hold the tag end, but what every works for each person is fine.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster