I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sharpie solution ?
Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 03:49PM

I remember reading somewhere that after grinding and shaping the feet on guides that its not a good idea to use a black sharpie to darken and help hide the shine of the bright metal foot under the the wrap. I've been doing it that way for awhile and don't seem to have any problems with finish although I also usually use a heavy flood coat of CP on the wraps of the (mostly SW) rods I build. What am I missing and what's the downside of the quick and easy sharpie solution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharpie solution ?
Posted by: robert smith (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 04:11PM

Paul. if it works for you then it works. This is CUSTOM rod building, there are very few hard and fast rules. you'll worry yourself mad if you care too much about what others think.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 05:50PM

Sometimes you just to take some things with a drop of saltwater. Robert couldn't have said it better.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 05:51PM

The problem is some "prominent" builders of years past used to tell people that the Sharpie protects teh guide from rust.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 06:17PM

I have been using Sharpies for years to darken guide feet works really well just make sure its indelible ink. I tried black paint once wasn't able to pack the thread. It kept pulling the paint with it. I went back to the sharpies.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2009 06:52PM

Hi,
I use black nail polish on black guides, silver nail polish on chrome; quick drying, and the brush is in the bottle.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2009 09:32PM

Some things work and some don't. You never want to hide 2+2=5 as being correct and just another of many ways to do math. There are some answers in regards to custom rod building that certainly are either absolutely correct or absolutely wrong. Fortunately in your case here, it's not one of those instances.

Having said that, Sharpie colored guide feet won't necessarily cause any problems. If you allow it dry and then coat with CP or epoxy, you should be okay. The only problem might crop up when you hit it with a solvent based finish such as PermaGloss or similar. If you don't use a product that contains a solvent that will undermine the Sharpie ink, and most CPs and solid based epoxies won't, you're okay.

Date: April 05, 2009 11:17PM

who's the judge of what's correct and what is not? If it works and your happy then it's all good. If it doesn't work then you just don't do it again and everything is still good.

Date: April 05, 2009 11:31PM

SOmetimes there atre just better ways of doing things. If you wanted to travel from FLorida to Texas, you could drive West, or you could take a boat around 90% of the WEarth andland in Cali, then drive East. YOu'll end up in teh same place going both routes.

Date: April 05, 2009 11:52PM

good thought Billy.

Date: April 06, 2009 08:43AM

PS - I'm not sayign that hte Sharpie is not a good idea or there are better ways, I was just saying in general. My original point was answerring the question what possible downside there might be usingthe Sharpie.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2009 09:18AM

I think some may have missed the point of what I was saying. Using rubber cement for gluing an EVA inlay into a grip would be wrong. Heating PermaGloss in the microwave to try and thin it would be wrong. Using Titebond to adhere foam or cork to a rod blank would be wrong. None these will work and at least can be very dangerous. There are indeed absolutes in rod building just as there are in anything else. The list of things folks often do and then have trouble with would fill a good sized textbook. And yet many defend some terrible practices (some of which can have dangerous consequences) as simply another way to do something with there being no right nor wrong involved.

The guy who called me last week about the fire in his shop was torching PermaGloss. He was upset because he read somewhere on the internet that you could do this with supposedly good results. He had a hard time believing that something he read on the internet could possibly be wrong. But it wasn't just another way to do something - it was absolutely wrong and he nearly paid a dear price for it.

If you look at what I said above, using a Sharpie marker to color guide feet isn't one of these instances. You can use it or not. It's neither right nor wrong. The only time you'll run into trouble with it is if you use a coating on the threads that can dissolve the Sharpie ink. Some can. I listed one above.

Date: April 06, 2009 10:25AM

ANother major problem with the internet is half answers to questions. THat is a major reason why there are so many "oops" posts. THis is a great example of one of them - Tom points out a BEWARE of using a sharipe - had he not experianced this himself, or know someone else that did - the door is open for many people to run into this same problem. THisis the main reason I tell people over and over to take anythignyour rad on any internet forum with a grain of salt, and use that as a starting point for your testing.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.153.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 10:36PM

I've used a Sharpie to touch up guide feet on black snake guides on dozens of bamboo rods with the wraps finished with spar varnish and never had any sort of bleed thru problem, I've even done it on wraps done with white thread and finished with varnish to make the wrap clear , still no problems.. If you smell most permanent markers like Sharpie and other brands you'll notice that they smell like denatured alcohol, not a common solvent for many finishes other than shellac, any finish that has a different solvent base will work fine.
john

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2009 10:56PM

There is a CP on the market that will make a permanent Sharpie run like Usain Bolt being chased by a hungry tiger.

Almost every method has pros and cons. Some techniques work for some and not for others. I can guarantee that techniques I use in Tampa, will not work the same for Billy in NYC ... humidity, temperature and lack of grits all have an effect.

Personally, I prefer Testor's paint markers. And guess what? You can run into problems with them too ... LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster