I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GUSA Rod Blanks
Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2009 03:19PM

I can not get ahold of anybody in Yuma, AZ at the Hastings/GUSA place and was hoping that I could do a warranty adjustment on a SW70XH which broke this year. Guess the rod waited to long to break. When I call, I get disconnected numbers and no contact. Are they out of business or does anyone have any better numbers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GUSA Rod Blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2009 03:57PM

I don't have all the information, but it would appear that GUSA closed down a few months back. There has been talk about someone picking them up and bringing them back, but even that might not help your warranty claim.

Billy Vivona at the NERBS outfit would be able to better inform you.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 08:33PM

I can confirm that they're done. Another group has acquired the mandrels and other equipment, however they have nothing to do with GUSA, the products that they used to produce, or their warranty.

Sorry Jim.

The new group will be launching at the West Coast Custom Fishing Rod Show in May.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 11:44PM

Hi Jim,

You have just joined a long list of us with warrantees that no longer have a company attached to them. I am still waiting for Cape Fear. They signed for the delivery of the broken rod and that was IT!!! Sad but it happens.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 24, 2009 12:12AM

Jim,

You most likely will not get your replacement rod for the reasons mentioned above.

I can assure you and every other GUSA fan out there that the line of blanks will be continuing. Very soon there will be a press release advising that the company has been bought out and will continue to operate under the new name - United Composites USA. The manufacturing plant has been moved to CA and will be in full operation within the next couple of months. The range of GUSA and United blanks will have the old favorites + the addition of newer United blanks with actions developed from Down Under.

Stay tuned.

Regards
Mark

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 24, 2009 04:35PM

Well, guess I learned my lesson, I got really fired up with all of the good reports and this was a great blank that has led to the demise of a large number of Yellowtail in Baja Mexico but I should have gone with a Calstar or Seeker blank. Course I have a lot of those and they have never broken. Oh well, at least I have all the guides and other equipment and there was this one tiny flaw in the wrapping that used to drive me nuts cause I knew it was there.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2009 05:08PM

If it's any consolation, a broken rod does not automatically mean there was a defect involved. Normally, defects that result in rod breakage rear their heads very soon after you start using the rod. It may well have been that you'd have sent the rod back only to find out that it broke due to an earlier impact or something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster