I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on blanks
Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 09:11AM

A couple weeks ago I posted a question about re-labeling a blank after having to strip the reel seat and foregrip off a rod. Someone suggested getting a pen nib and some Testor's model paint and writing on the blank. I like this idea the more I think about it. Robin's egg blue script on the blank would look great with the wraps I used. My handwriting is terrible and my blank diameter above the foregrip is between 3/8ths and 7/16th. The curvature will be a real challenge for me. Has anyone written on tranparent labels and transferred that onto the blank? Any other ideas?
Thanks everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2009 09:45AM

Many of us once wrote our inscriptions on short pieces of Scotch Brand Magic Tape, affixed to a clean piece of glass, and then transferred that to the rod blank. Properly done, you have pretty much created your own decal of sorts and it looks pretty good. But there are problems - you have a window in which you must make the transfer. Wait too long and the ink will crack as you lift the tape. Touch the back side of tape and you'll leave a fingerprint. Little things like that make it touchy, but not impossible. Give it a try and see what you can do with it.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 09:56AM

I use the clear decal film from Mud Hole to write on and it works great. I would highly recomend it.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:03AM

I have used the Testors decal kit available at most hobby shops for this in the past. It works just fine. APply a layer of finish before you apply the decal.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:24AM

There is a tough Scotch transclucent tape available at hardware stores that is resistant to sunlight, also is thicker than scotch tape so it is very tough. I've placed it onto the release paper that is under labels, written on it, cut it to size, picked it back up and put it onto blanks. It disappears once the rod finish is applied. I assume that clear decal films will work as well, but this is an option. I have put it on without first appying a coat of finish and have had no trouble.

The tape has many other uses for fishing/shop/etc too. For example, put one of the address labels you probably have hundreds of onto your binoculars, cameras, other valuable things, cover it with this tape, and it will last for years. Then if someone somehow has your stuff they can return it. If they don't return it they know they are stealing-no excuse.

Any film that has adhesive on one side will pick up fingerprints, so with any of these options you have to be very careful handling it. The fingerprints will not disappear under the finish.

Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:55AM

I'm glad I asked this question. Mike, what is the proprietary name of that Scotch tape? Is it clear UV resistent duct tape?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:01AM

Take a look here: you can have them made. just a couple, any script.
[www.decalconnection.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:56AM

James,
A good solution to your problem is to use the nib and testors paint to write the inscription.
If you have poor writing skills, find someone who does and employ their help.
Think about someone of the female persuasion. Often ladies have much better writing skills than men.
If you have a friend, wife, or other who has excellent writing skiils ask for their help.

I am fortunate in that my wife is an artist and does a great job of lettering my rods.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
In this hobby or business, recognize your skills and use the skills that you like and enjoy using. Then, for the skills that you are unable to learn, or have no talent at doing, enlist the help of someone who does.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:32PM

Why do some builders recommend to apply a layer of finish before applying a decal? Why not apply directly to the blank?

Posted by: Ken Preston (77.239.254.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 07:14AM

I think you will do better with India Ink rather than Testor's paint. I think you'll find you will have problems keeping the consistency the same with paint and a pen nib. Pen nibs are for very viscous liquids (like ink). You might be able to do this by thinning down the paint - my experience is that I have had exactly zero success writing with paint (with the exception of silver, gold and copper "antiquing" paints.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 07:52AM

A coat of finish first will give a barrier just in case you have to take it off. You don't go into the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 10:49AM

Also, even finished blanks aren't perfectly smooth. Applying the coat of finish smooths out any irregularities on the blank that might cause micro air bubbles under the decal.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 10:38PM

Sorry to be so late in responding on the proprietary name for the Scotch brand tape that is very tough and also UV resistant. I don't know the exact name for it , but you can find it at hardware/Home Depot/ similar stores in their tape section. It is almost transparent, not quite, but when it's covered with rod finish it appears perfectly clear. Look for a tape that is almost clear and that has the UV (ultra violet) resistance comment on the package. It is 1 inch wide and the roll is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. When out of the package it has no labeling on the roll's center, which is white plastic.

It is not duct tape, nor packaging tape, nor normal scotch tape (it's probably 2 or 3 times thicker than packaging tape and normal scotch tape and much more resistant to tearing).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster