I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27X with off-set blank?
Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.hanford.gov)
Date: March 03, 2009 07:38AM

I was contemplating a spinning rod with the blank off-set (not centered) as I have seen in some of the photos posted here. I had thought about it before, but seeing some other rods built that way brought it back to mind. SInce the blank is a bit further from the spool do we need to adjust the 27X factor? Or is the small change/shift in blank relative to reel enough to get concerned about?
From those who have built such a rod, any feedback? Did it do what you wanted? Or was it just a novelty with no real difference in casting or sensitivity?
Thanks!
I have also wondered if off-setting the blank would help with having better contact to the blank with your hand / finger on a baitcaster rod for posssible increased sensitivity.
Andy K

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27X with off-set blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2009 08:13AM

You need to start by reading Steve Gardner's excellent article in the Volume 10 #4 issue of RodMaker. Handle to blank offset is fully discussed there and addresses many of the questions you've asked.

As far as the 27X factor for choker guide location - you'll have to try it for yourself. I have no doubt it will still work, but you may find that it will do even better with a little tweaking. All the figures used to arrive at that factor were taken from rods that did not have the blank offset in the handle.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 08:23AM

I would suggest staying with the 27x.
Depending on your blank, you are talking about 3/16 to 38 vertical clearances. This provides additional clearance between line and blank. But your choke point should be in about the same place.

Some may consider it a novelty, but I consider one of the best things ever done to improve performance on spinning rods, and based on client feed back I would say they agree.

I have played around with this on bait casters, but there are some other things to consider, and other things that don’t make a deference like in the spinning handle.
The rod is held differently.
Stability issues are different
Reels on top
Realistically the blank has to be offset towards the bottom or you loose some contact with the blank.
Seats are smaller so unless you went with an oversized seat or some other type of mounting arrangement you would be talking a very small amount offset.

I have one in the works at this moment, but for different reasons then I offset the spinning real handles.

Rod Maker issue Tom is refering to should answer most of your questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 08:24AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:12PM

Not sure if I understand this offset. Got a picture. Tried a search, nothing came up.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:26PM

Look at your cover of the issue mentioned above also some pictures inside.
Some other people have posted pictures in the photo section. But I don't know under what heading they are posted.

Date: March 03, 2009 01:04PM

Go here:

[rodmakermagazine.com]

Look at cover volume 10 #4. I think you can see it well enough to get the idea.

Date: March 03, 2009 01:51PM

OK, I was thinking of the offset casting reel with the blank above the seat with the line going under the blank and could not figure how on a spinner.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:57PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here is the start for one.

Date: March 04, 2009 08:14AM

Would it not be better if the blank was in contact with the real seat. More sensitive.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 04, 2009 08:22AM

The blank will be in full contact with the entire length of the reel seat.

Date: March 04, 2009 11:30AM

Oh, Lookin at the link Andy had it did not look like it was .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 12:12PM

That was one I found from a quick look at the photo section to show the idea. The blank would be in contact with the reel seat along either the top (for a spinner) or else the bottom (for a baitcaster). I thought putting the blank in contact with the reel seat would better transmit vibrations and maybe allow better contact to the blank with the users hand / fingers. Mostly I use baitcasters, my friends are split. Some use spinners and some like baitcasters. I guess I need to mock up a baitcaster. I haven't really got a good vision of how to do the grip area so it looks good yet. I would be using a blank exposed or split type reel seat. Maybe starting with something like the AmTak SCRTH and make a skeleton form it so I can have a trigger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster