I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drop Shot Rod/Grip Help
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:50AM

Hi guys I am new to building rods, and any advice on what to read or anything would be alot of help. I figure the offseason will give me some time to play around. My first rod I would like to build is a spinning rod combo for drop shotting. I am looking for a blank 6'10 with a very fast action tip. I need something sensitive but with enough backbone to set the hook in deeper water... Do any of you guys have any suggestions on rod blanks and where to get them that would be perfect for this presentation...

Also would it be possible to use the Fugi reel seat DNPSC Deluxe (cobra finish-looks like a carbon fiber finish) with this rod, would love to have a split grip... Are there any pre drilled split grips either cork or foam that could be used with this reel seat... Have never made a rod so looking to ease into this...

Look forward to the assistance... Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop Shot Rod/Grip Help
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:01AM

my number one choice Awesome balnk!

Batson
RX8+S822.5 6'10" Medium X-Fast 6-12 1/8-1/2oz 1.76oz. Satin Black Drop Shot
Bult just for this technique

Purchase;
Custom Tackle Sponcer on left

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:07AM

Hi Jay,

I am sure you'll get a lot of suggestions for the drop-shot rod blank. There are many that would apply and it narrows it down with your description.

My suggestion is for the handle, particularly the seat. I respect your preference for the seat you specified but I want to mention American Tackles's AERO16 seat. While it won't have the cosmetic look you mentioned, it is the best spinning rod seat I have ever used. In fact I won't use any standard seats again (with the exception of the Vetre Handle system). It is extremely comfortable with it's ergonomic palm swell and "Comfort Finish". I routinely hear from custom builders as well as large manufacturers that it's the best seat they have ever used as well. If not for this rod, I hope you can give them a try on another project.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:10AM

Batson has versions of the SB822.5 in 4 different series, RX6, RX7, RX8, and RX8+, to fit any budget, they are all nice blanks for what you want to do. The StCroix 69MLXF is also a very nice blank, and in the SCIII (Avid) series pretty reasonably priced.

Date: March 03, 2009 11:22AM

I have heard good things with regards to the Baston RX+8... I will have to look into this rod. I think this would be a good starting point for my rod building... Defintely want something with a light enough tip not to rip a small hook out a smallies mouth, but enough backbone to get the job done... I will be using a Quantum Energy E20 or 30 with this rod... Any suggestions on the grip/I do like that reel seat from American Tackle... Do the cork/foam come predrilled to fit the blanks... I have alot of questions, first timer...

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:40AM

Jay,
We use a lot of the Aero seats from Amtak and they are great.
A good set up is 2 1/2" front cork, 2" rear, 2" butt with a black rubber butt plug.
Most all of the smaller lengths of cork are going to be 1/4" ID, simply open to fit with a small round file.
And yes, the SB822.5 series are very good for drop shot.
The latest is the XSB822.5, special "Titanium Chrome" gloss finish, very unique.
Good luck on your first rod

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:41AM

Jay - if you've never built a rod before, I wouldn't suggest a Batson RX8+. Mainly because of the price. You're going to make mistakes. You're going to need to redo some things. I'd suggest buy a moderately priced blank (Like a RX6, RX7 or SCIII) and try some things. Get comfortable with it before you drop $150+ into a blank.

Handles usually have a hole prebored but you have to ream them out to get the right fit for the blank you are using.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:43AM

Jay,

You will definitely be pleased with the RX8+ 822.5. Mine is built up as a casting rod, and VERY versatile.

Most of the pre-shaped cork and foam come pre-drilled. Check the product description, and it should list an inside diameter for the bore.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:50AM

Jay,
Take a look at the Rogue Rod series of drop shot rods:

[www.roguerods.com]

They have some very nice blanks that work very well for this application.
If you read their web page with respect to the design of their drop shot rods, you can get some very good ideas on the handle that you want to put on the rod.

I have built several of their rods in this series and my clients have nothing but good things to say about the rods.

The key thing with a good drop shot rod is a very very light tip, with plenty of backbone to set the hook.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 11:54AM

Jay,
I'd heed Alex's advice and start with something more economical than an RX8 or RX8+. After you've built 4 or 5, you can move up to the expensive blanks. You'll be thankful later that you started with something cheap as there's lots of mistakes you'll make and things you'll want to do different next time.

Welcome and Good Luck,
Robert

Date: March 03, 2009 12:04PM

I plan on practicing on some cheaper blanks for rods for my nephews before I climb into the drivers seat for a more expensive blank.... Defintely need to get some practice before I jump into something very expensive...

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:07PM

That sounds like a smart plan. Have fun and enjoy.

Date: March 03, 2009 12:10PM

What beginer model do you suggest?

Date: March 03, 2009 01:11PM

Jay,
Just go to Mudhole and pick up some of their brand name sanded blanks for $10 each.
They are actually not bad blanks and will provide a nice base to start building.
Pick up some premade handles and inexpensive guides and you will be good to go.

Take care
Roger

Date: March 03, 2009 01:14PM

Was thinking of buying the Flex Coat Finishing Motor & Hand Rod Wrapper... Dont know if i will like the power wrapper as a newbie in building rods... I think the idea of doing this by hand using the thread tensioner will work just fine... Will I need anything else to get me started... And any suggestions...

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 02:47PM

The rod in this picture I believe was one of the first rods sold at this years show in High Point. The first guy who took it outside for a test cast bought it on the spot. Micro set up built on the Castaway XP3 842 which was cut down 1.5 inches.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Blank details: [www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 02:48PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 03:13PM

I really love the look of this set up and the feel of the small pipe seat.

XSB822.5
Rainshadow RX8 Bass Spin

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XSB822.5-TC 6' 10" 1pc 6-14lb 1/8 - 5/8oz - Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: HESGFB1.5S-350 1.5" High End Splitgrip Super Grade ID .350"
Trim: AWC389 Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HESGFB1.5S-350
Split Grip: HEFG3.5S-250 3.5" High End Foregrip Super Grade ID .250"
Trim: AWC389 Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HEFG3.5S-250
Reel Seat Body: BPSTG16 "Textured Gray Graphite Reel Seat Body
-Place back of reel seat 9"" inches up from butt threads down"
Reel Seat Hood: GTT16C-SN-TC Hood w/cushion Single Nut - TiCH Coated Chrome
Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-TC Trim Ring for thread side of Spin Seat size 16 TiCH
Fore Grip: None
Winding Check: FBWC09.0 Rubber winding check for front of #16 seat
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper
Tip Top: XTCPPCT06R04.5 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 4.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8.25"
3rd XPTCFCG06 12.75"
4th XPTCFCG07 17.5"
5th XTCYTCG07 22.75"
6th XTCYTCG10 28.625"
7th XTCYTCG16 36"
8th XTCYTCG25 45"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: March 03, 2009 05:53PM

Kerry,
As long as you made the post, I would like to thanks you for the new line of RX8 rods that have been brought out recently. I have had many requests for this line of rods due to their superior quality, light weight and excellent design.
As I said when talking to another local rod builder who said the same thing and I had to agree with him -" I will have to rebuild my arsenel of rods with the new RX8 series since they work so well!" !

Thanks again.

Roger

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 06:45PM

Yes I'm in the same boat as you all new rods darn LOL:)

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 07:50PM

Using the Cobra seat with the threads facing toward the tip, you'll probably only need a single cork ring in the back to finish it. shaping the cork with a bit of sandpaper to something you like is very easy. There is plenty of room there for a person's hand usually as the reelseat is about 5 1/2" long. Many of our sponsors have the split grip butt to order premade. What you do up front is up to you.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster