I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first timer help
Posted by: sergio rimoldi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 10:40PM

Just like probably All of you, I decided that manufactured rods never are 100% what I want, so i would like to start making my own.
I know there are many books out there, I would like recomendations on the good ones.
I need knowledge on how to choose the right components and the meaning of thins like striper guides?
Also if anyone is located in the San Francisco bay area (east bay even better) I would like you to show me the do's and dont's while building my first rod. I want it to be a striper trolling rod, I decided on the blank but I have no clue what guides to use.
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first timer help
Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 10:57PM

Sergio:
Unhide your email address.....
I'm in Pleasant Hill, next to Walnut Creek....
Jon Gold

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:21PM

Try the "Directory" section (button above) that is a list of builders who would be happy to
help those in there areas. Who knows? There could be one very close to you.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2009 11:36PM

Sergio;
I would also suggest you look in the “Glossary” section to read the definitions of what things are called. This will give you a head start when you read posts and such.
Tom Kirkman’s book on rod building will give you much of the info you are seeking, and can be purchased from some of the sponsors on the left.
This Forum is also a great learning tool, many people here willing to lend support and answer questions.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:07AM

Like Steve, I would strongly suggest a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman. It will be the best $15 you will spend on this addiction. Also check the Library and FAQ pages at the top of this page and register on the Photo page and wander around in there a little.

Be sure to post any questions here and you will get plenty of help. Utilize the SEARCH feature here also. Their is a ton of info available

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 01:15AM

I'm in Alamo and build rods, will be glad to help in anyway I can. While I build fly rods much of the process is the same.

Phil

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:02AM

Read through the Rod Building Glossary to learn more about the various terms you seek information on.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 01:11PM

I spent many years trolling up and down the Sacramento river drop me a line if you would like my opinion. I may just head down there in April for the Striper derby. I mostly troll deep diver Rebels with a worm attached using Braid with a softer action rod like the Rainshadow BP1024. Some of my guide friends like the Faster action like the HS962 but I feel its a bit much when using braid lines but does hammer the hooks home.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:24PM

sergio kERRY bATSON IS AWEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE. My I suggest if you can Come to Washington State. Lamiglas is haveing a custom rod get to gather in April. Unhide your email.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 17, 2009 01:32AM

Jon that is great I'm in Oakley, but moved here from PH,
I unlocked the email address.

Date: February 17, 2009 01:37AM

Thank you very much for all the responses and offered help!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster