I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shelf Life of Epoxy?????
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:09AM

Do any of you know the shelf life of ROD BOND?

My ROD BOND that I've only had for a couple of years now isn't as smooth out of the bottle as I originally got it. It doesn't have the "Petroleum Jelly" smooth consistency any more. It's more chunky now. It still blends well and I checked my handles and still holding strong.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shelf Life of Epoxy?????
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:55AM

Tony,
I am not the expert here. I can tell you I have some the same way and have been using it on several rods. It seems as if it is well mixed the chunks break up. i have not had any problems either.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:01AM

There is no appreciable shelf life - it will last forever.

Warm the resin in the micro wave for a couple of 10 second bursts to return it to the original smoothness.

Keeping it in a warmer area will help prevent crystallization of the resin.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:49AM

Tony with Rod Bond there is no reason to nuke it, just use a spatula or popsicle stick and stir like crazy, comes right back to jelly consistency.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 17, 2009 03:36AM

In general terms epoxy components do have a shelf life
The long chain epoxy components ( the thick jelly & paste ones ) have quite a long shelf life
The short chain epoxy components ( the runny ones ) have a short shelf life.
with warming & or agitating they all smooth out and create a good bond in use. The bond you get in that situation is only slightly reduced in strength compared to fresh components.
The big difference is in the free surface of older epoxies as they react & set.
In contained molded situations eg reelseats, corks etc this is not an issue.
In aged runny epoxies with large free surfaces they tend to 'orange peel' the free surface as they react and set.

Warming increases the rate of aging..............its a short term fix with a longer term price.

And yes, I warm my epoxies when they age & start to either precipitate or stiffen...................up to a point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster