I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbleizing...final steps
Posted by: Chris Mauldin (---.doh.state.fl.us)
Date: February 11, 2009 04:04PM

Is it necessary to apply a thin coat of finsh over marbleized finish after it sets, or is the marbleized finsh good to go on its own?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbleizing...final steps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2009 04:10PM

It's fine as is.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 05:05PM

It is fine as it is, AS LONG as you're not using metallic, sometimes (not always!) if the finish is thin the metallic can stay on the surface of the finish, or have an edge sticking out of the finish topcoat. You CANNOT feel this with your hands, but it will allow faster degradation of your finish in the marbling area over time with the outdoor elements help. I suggest adding a clear coat over all metallic marbling, one more thin coat is worth the protection it provides.

DR

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.206.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:15PM

It should be fine like it is.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:30PM

Usually, If I'm happy with it, I leave it alone although I usually marble before I put trim wraps on the ends of the marbled area so when I apply finish on the wraps, I just do the whole thing.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:32PM

I do the same as Mike so it ends up with an overcoat anyway.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:50PM

You might think about a vary thin coat of Perma Gloss to be on the safe side. One thine coat well not add any noticeable weight.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Robert Russell (65.39.122.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 07:23AM

I do the same as Bob and add a thin coat of PG. I've also tried an automotive clear coat and spar urethane to see how it looks.

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 10:03AM

how would you compare the auto coat, urethane, and permagloss? I have seen several folks on here talk about urethane for a top coat. I have a can for brush on things, it is pretty amber in color. Does the amber show in the thin spray on application, compared to PG? Thanks.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2009 12:18PM

I think that many are making this a lot more complicated than it is. When you marble, the ONLY difference is that there is a LITTLE pigment added to the finish!! There is absolutely nothing to protect except a coat of epoxy. If you normally use an additional coat over your finish, do so, if you don't then don't. I can't see any possible advantage/reason to use PG. urethane, etc over it. Do you put a coat of urethane over your guide wraps?? When you marble, the finish has been tinted, it can't rub off or flake off.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster