I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guides on 8' crankbait rod
Posted by: Richard Milliser (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 04:30PM

Any one have experience with micro guides on a IP964 or other 8' blanks for crankbaits (Spiral wrap).

Have used micro's on pitching rods with great success, just wondering how they do on longer casting rods.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Looking forward to High Point.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guides on 8' crankbait rod
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 05:03PM

Outstanding. Don't think twice and don't look back.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 05:03PM

Although I build "on top" and not spiral, I have built fourteen 8' cranking rods using all 3.5 micros. They work great, no issues. I don't know of any reason you should expect issues with spiral. Be happy to show you one at the Expo.

Bobby

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:13PM

Ditto to Alex’s and Bobby's comments, You just might be amazed at the results.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:21PM

Built three 7 footers,,,,,,,,cast like a bullet !

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 06:41PM

You may choose to think about this very carefully -

When you say 8 foot crank bait - are you thinking long distance throwing?

Do you thow overhead and end up at the end of the casting stroke with the blank either horizonal to the water or slightly pointing down? My reel is flat with guides up -

On a long throw the lure can be in the air up to three seconds or more -

While the line is outbound where is the line in relation to the guide rings on the rod?

If you think through this carefully you may come to a conclusion quite quickly.

Now a couple of additional things -

If you are on the front end of a bass boat retreiving the lure where is the tip of the rod pointed and again where is the line in relation to the guide rings -

Now lets really confuse the issue -

You enticed a hawg to attack attack the lure - now we have a fight on our hands that will probably be as bad as the one to decide where to put the guides in the first place! We all know where all the guides belong for this task!

Can you imagine just how much fun we will have at the ICRBE in the parking lot next week comparing all the micro set ups!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: David Page (---.167.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 07:38PM

Bill, you are the consimate salesman my friend. I don't even know what the heck you just said but I WANT ONE lol.

I just finished a 7' lipless bait rod with them and on the first cast I spooled my citica 100. unreal!

David Page
E-town, KY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 07:42PM by David Page.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:18PM

David - maybe you need more line? ha ha ha.. awesome isn't it?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:32PM

I don't understand him either David. It must be a geographical thIng. In Minnesota - if my buddy offers me a pop I say "you betcha", but when I was in Jersey we called it soda. Hopefully I can understand Bill in person. I think I want an 8' cranker. I think I want guides on top, and I know they will be 3mm Batsons.

Chuck

Date: February 11, 2009 09:13PM

Mr. Mills I sincerely hope dog sled allows you and your wife to escape the igloo igloo and arrive this year before the show closes. There will be a eight foot cranker with a Revo Prem loaded with 30 # braid for you to chunk - lure wt 0.4356 oz. I will need permission to take a picture of the expession on your face the first time you see what happens. After this test is done I think several words in your last two sentences be altered. I will write the words I think you will change and place them in my shirt pocket. If I lose you will get a free bottle of Cajun Lagnaippe and if you loose you will be asked to make a post on this forum when your return home detailing your experiences!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:24PM

I agree with Bill,,,GUIDES ON TOP on an 8' Carnker with Micros !

David; Isn't that the most awesome Crankin rod you ever flung !! It will make that little Citica smoke .

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:32PM

Crickey! We've had frozen water so long I don't know how to cast! No joke - the last cast I made was in church. The associate pastor wanted to check out my 7' cranker with micros. I cut almost all of the 12# Pline off after he hit the light bar with the practice plug and didn't thumb the spool. I'll give it a try Bill.

Posted by: Robert Russell (65.39.122.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:30PM

I'm at Lake Fork dropping off some 8 footers today, fishing tomorrow and Friday. I've got a mix out here of all the options, regular guides spiral, micro guides spiral and both on top. They all work great and I'm not sure which works best, but the micros are the lightest.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 12:00AM

Bill may not be much easier to understand in person...

if you can catch him...

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.americawest.com)
Date: February 12, 2009 01:26AM

Bill, we all find an answer to a question a lot easier to understand when the answer doesn't involve 5 or more (I lost count!) additional questions. Just answer the durn question with what you believe to be the correct answer.

Date: February 12, 2009 07:43AM

(Greg: Only two words this time):

Jay Hunt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster