I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rod balancing weights - which issue
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 03:49PM

In a not so old issue of rod maker there was an article on rod balancing, and it featured a Do-It mold to make weights.

Anyone know which issue, and where that mold is available?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod balancing weights - which issue
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:01PM

I think that was on of Rich Forhan's articles if I remember right, I'm not home but I think it also had articles on balancing a variety of rod types in the issue. I'd look back at least into the Volume 6 or earlier back issues as that's when much of that was in the magazine.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:07PM

Volume 6 Issue #6

If you go to the Rod Maker Magazine site and click on back issues, beside each one is a list of the articles covered in that edition

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:14PM

Don't know where to get the mold. Haven't seen it anywhere. Backlash Tools offers them premade.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:49PM

I even checked the Do-It site, and couldn't find the mold!

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:57PM

Talk to Bill Stevens, he uses spent bullet casings filled with something to weight his rods.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2008 05:23PM

Volume 6 #6 had several articles on the ins and outs of rod balancing.

Rich's article was the one that showed the Do-It mold for balancing weights. That article was also in that same issue.

The Do-It mold is # RBW (Rod Balancing Weight) -6-112

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 05:40PM

If I am going to use a balance system I much prefer using one with large diameter weights cantilevered off of the end of the blank. [www.rodbuilding.org] If you are limited to just putting weight inside the diameter of the blank the only way to increase the weight is to make it longer, and as you make the balance weight longer it gets closer to the fulcrum of the reel seat and less efficient at balancing. With the screw on washer system as you add weight it gets farther away from the fulcrum and more efficient at balancing. On some rods you can get away with half of the total weight and still get the same balance correction, and since it is adjustable the customer can dial in whatever balance level they prefer.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 06:04PM

Look at the silver thing-a-ma-bob in this picture next the the purple carp just above the elevation of the top of the M&Ms!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This one has dizzy threads on the internal piece so you can quickly change out weights when changing lures.

This is a pitchers and flippers dream set up!

Wt to 4 oz available -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Available at: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 06:46PM

Bill is the one in the photo the one Bass Pro Shop sells ?

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 06:53PM

Hey Mike,
If you have any of the washer's I could use some. I have the hardware, just not the washers...could never find a place to make them for me around here.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 06:56PM

Jay I am using these to balance out frog rods and flipping sticks where rod balance is crucial to allow the fisherperson to fishing all day without getting completely exhausted from lifting a tip weight of 2 ounces - 2 feet - 2,000 times in a day on the water!

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 08:18PM

Marc,
Rather than using weights that fit inside the blank - use a weight that will fit on the outside - butt section of the rod.
My preference, if necessary to balance, is to wrap - 1/4 inch, 3/8th inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch or 1 inch lead tape around the extreme butt section of the blank before adding the last section of handle or butt section.

There are many sources for lead tape. You can check out the large infamous @#$%& for this tape. If new, purchased from the manufacturer, you will likely to have to pay up to $100 for a roll of tape. However, by checkint out @#$%& sites, industrial surplus stores, etc. you can often find full rolls of tape for under $10 each.

[www.tennis-warehouse.com]

This tape has a sticky back and sometimes has a cover over the sticky back that you take off. In other cases, it is like scotch tape where you simply take it off the roll and wrap it on the surface needing the tape.

If you add the tape on the butt section of the blank, before adding the back grip, or the last cork ring or two, you will have an absolutely invisible rod balance, with minimum added weight due to its extreme aft postion, resulting in the longest balancing arm with minimum weight.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.102.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 08:53PM

Lead tape can also be used to balance your rod if it is butt heavy. Roll some tape into a tube shape, adhesive side out, and use a piece of thin dowell rod to ram the tube of lead tape up the inside of the tip section. The adhesive will usually keep the lead tape from shifting around too much.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:40PM

Phil,
Out of curiosity, how - under normal circumstance - could a rod become butt heavy?

I have never seen one, unless there has been a huge amount of weight added to the rod, a super heavy reel, or an extra long butt on the rod.

Thanks for any update.
Roger

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:47PM

Marc - you're on the right track - get the article - read it over a few times - there is more to adding weight than making a rod feel good in the shop. If you decide to add weight - the do-it mold I designed lets you do it efficiently and the rod will still have the look and form you use on your other rods.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:47PM

Marc - you're on the right track - get the article - read it over a few times - there is more to adding weight than making a rod feel good in the shop. If you decide to add weight - the do-it mold I designed lets you do it efficiently and the rod will still have the look and form you use on your other rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.35.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:50PM

Fly rods and spin rods are almost always butt heavy when they are equipped with a reel and line. The balance point is behind where the hand falls on the grip. If balance is desired then weight has to be added in the right place. I have struggled unsuccessfully to find a way to add a weight to a fly rod which moves toward the butt as more line is put in the air - so as to balance the rod, you know. Adding weight to the rod by stuffing lead into the hollow tip of the rod is the best solution I have yet to the balance problem, so the rod and reel balance with 15 feet or half the head out of the guides. Balancing a rod by adding weight to it is the most perplexing problem I have encountered in rod building.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:36AM

Butt heavy spinning rod? Probably only if you have an extremely long handle, or you hold the rod and reel above the reel seat. Most fisher-folk hold the reel so the stem is between two fingers, or at least very close to the hand. I find spinning rods tend to be tip heavy most of the time.

Those Batson butt caps look very nice indeed. Will there be any other colours in the line? Black......make a completely black one.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:21AM

Phil,

Are you saying you put lead into the tip of the rod? I can't imagine doing that as the detriment to performance it would cause would easily undermine any benefit you would gain by balancing the rod to begin with.

Trying to balance against a rod with line aerialized past the tip would be almost impossible without adding a tremendous amount of weight to the rod itself.

I don't think you want to balance in order to offset the weight of the line past the tip. A fly rod should only balanced (if you think that's important in the first place) in and of itself, with all the line fully coiled on the reel. Longer fly rods are almost always tip heavy which can cause anglers to hold a high rod tip at the beginning of the cast (not good) rather than starting low and immediately removing slack from the line. Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a fly rod that had a balance point behind the hand, unless it was a terribly short fly rod.

One method for balancing fly rods, is simply to use a larger or heavier reel, which also gains you the benefit of a greater retrieve ratio.

The same issue mentioned above has Dr. Hanneman's thoughts on fly rod balancing and how to easily achieve it if you're into that kind of thing.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster