I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heated rod guides??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 08:25PM

My buddy and I were out fishing today. The temperature was about 26 degrees, and the wind was blowing about 30 mph. We were fishing on the Mississippi river in Pool 2 - near the St. Paul, MN airport.

With the temperture and blowing wind, I was having a lot of problems with my guides icing up.
I was joking about the fact that we were right at the end of the runway, and if the pilots were having this problem, they would not be flying.

It was not a big deal, since the temperature of the water was 38 degrees, so by dipping the tip of the rod into the water, it would quickly melt the ice back out of the guides for the next cast.

However, as a lark, I was wondering if anyone had ever entertained the idea of having a heated guide on a rod. This would be used for long rods, fishing in below freezing weather as I was doing today, or for ice fishing, when you are fishing out of doors with no shelter in below freezing weather.

For either case, it would not be a big deal to have a wire connected to a rod to run to a heater in the blank.
Of course it would do no good to heat the blank, rather it is necessary to heat the guide ring. I suppose that if one were using the solid stainless steel rings, that one could fabricate a heater of sorts by connecting the guide ends in series through a current limiting resistor to a 12 volt battery normally used for the boat, or for the depth finder.

The fishing was fine, and the big fish are migrating up the river for winter staging. Since this pool is only catch and release, there are multiple opportunities to catch a nice trophy in the waters of a major metro area.

Thanks for any thoughts or consideration.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heated rod guides??
Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:16PM

There is an easierway. Those sprays that are used to keep frost off windshields work great to prevent ice buildup on guides.
Dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:04PM

David,
I suspect that you are right.

This reminded me of the time that the family and myself had gone to Yellowstone Park in December for a winter tour of the park. The outside temperature was -54 degrees.
We were riding in a Park - Bombardier. i.e. a tracked vehicle that had originally been built in 1936 and kept in running condition. However, the defrosting of the passenger windows was non existent. So, on each side of the machine a quart bottle of pure antifreeze was on the floor. The driver instructed us to use the bottle to drip antifreeze along the top edge of the window and let it drip down the inside of the window - coating the window. The excess puddled on the floor. The result was a very good - frost free view of the park.

There were other snow machines of newer vintage made from converted 15 passenger Chevy and Ford vans that had excellent defrosters on all windows. These new machines had track and ski assemblies added to the chassis, to make snow travel easy in the park.

If you ever make it to the Park, bring along some of your custom 2-4 weight fly rods and spend some time in the summer time fly fishing the various rivers in the park. Some of them are catch and release, and some of them allow you to keep one or two fish.
These rivers do provide some of the very best fly fishing in the country for various kinds of trout.

Thanks again for the tip on keeping the guides free of ice. I expect that this would also be a help, if using an ice rod - in the out of doors, with no heated shelter - ice fishing as well.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 01:25PM

I would think a 9 volt battery somehow attatched to the butt of the rod with the wireing running up the rod and wrapping around the base of the guide would work. However, you would still stand the chance of melting the rod coat. Dont know, JMHO.Definetly something to play with and apply for a patent as soon as you get it perfected.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: November 20, 2008 07:02PM

Roger - long ago when fishing in Michigan was still new, we often stood in watere just above freezing in our rubber suits and drifted small baits down the rivers for salmon and steelhead and browns. We used Coleman lanterns to keep warm and to melt the ice off the guides after a litttle while. in the stream.

We also found out that heating a guide, whether with electricity or flame, had the unfortunate result of sometimes messing up the glue where the ring meets the frame - resulting in a lost ring. Sometimes the finish would come off the frames. Sometimes a bit of carelessness would kill the threads and finish. And sometimes it was just too bloody cold to fish, without a shanty and an auger.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster