I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help Matching Trim Thread to Fly Reel Seat
Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:07AM

I'm getting ready to build a 5wt fly rod using American Tackle's windowed fly seat in TiCh/Black Matrix (AW12T-BG). I plan on using black thread for main wrapping - but would like to also add a small trim wrap.

Would anyone have a suggestion on a thread that would closely match the TiCh color of the fly reel seat?

I plan on using TM CP and TM Lite to finish the wraps.

Thanks in advance for the help.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help Matching Trim Thread to Fly Reel Seat
Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:38AM

I would do the trim in grey without CP, the lack CP won't make any difference in the black and the grey will get darker, However if you use a dark grey you will want the CP.

Posted by: Karen Campbell (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:14AM

Hi Fred -

After reading your post - I am so in to the rod design/color thing that I grabbed a seat with TiCh trim and ran upstairs to Scott's personal Madeira chest (600+ colors) and have some suggestions:

1. Madeira #1730 which is a copper/brown shade picks up ther warm tones in the TiCh;
2. Madeira #1615 is a gunmetal gray which would give the wrap a metallic appearance (without using metallic thread); or,
3. Madeira#1860. This is my personal favorite as it is a mixture of the cool gray and warmer tones. I think it provides nice contrast (so your work will present nicely), and looks great with the TiCh.

So there is my 2 cents worth! Have a good day -- Karen Campbell at Fishsticks

PS - for Robert, Ray, and Scott - I have finally succombed to the Rod Forum allure!!

Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:42AM

Karen,

THANK YOU very much for going to that much effort to help!

Can I order those from Fishsticks? I checked the website but didn't see Madeira threads.

And you can bet I'll be attending your presentation at the upcoming Rod Expo ;-)

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:57AM

You may want to do a test wrap, some colors of Madeira darken significantly when you apply finish even with CP.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 01:13PM

They haven't combined the Scotts Rod Suppy and the Fishsticks web sites yet. You might want to just give them a call. The Madeira is listed on the Scott's rod supply site on the left

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Karen Campbell (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 02:04PM

Hello Again Fred,

Mike Barkley is correct, at this time the Madeira is available on the Scott's Custom Rods website. You can order from there. Or, you can check the colors and match them to Threadmaster, Gudebrod, or another company and achieve similar results. I know folks have their preferences born of their experience building rods. I admire rodbuilders and the many ways the craft is practiced. So, order from Scott's site if your preference is Madeira.

Eventually the two sites will be combined.

I cannot tell you how terrrific the Fishsticks move was. We traveled to Virginia Friday morning and by lunchtime the truck was packed and we returned to Raleigh. Robert and Ray drove down on Saturday arriving well before lunch, and we proceeded to set up Fishsticks in Raleigh. No one complained about listening to Disney radio. Robert, Ray, Scott and I had dinner at Bahama Breeze (It just had to be fish for dinner, you know?), and we started again Sunday morning. We're ready to roll. Tell the mate to let go the lines, we're going fishing, or rather rodbuilding.

Everyday is a learning experience. This morning I have pulled orders and talked with Fishsticks customers many who have called just to say hi. Ray and Robert have both called to check in, and I just love those guys. If we don't see them beforehand, they will be joining us at the show in February. I am very excited to be there again and look forward to seeing everyone. Oh yes, Karen at Bingham called first thing this am to say hello. She helped work the bugs out of our fax machine.

Our dogs, Banner and Boo, are working at Fishsticks today, despite the fact that Boo's regular job is at Container Systems, Inc, with his buddy Rambo.

I will see if we can get some photos of the Raleigh Fishsticks store up on the web soon. Thanks for being so great everyone! KPC at Fishsticks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:06PM

I've used pewter metallic trim bands in some of the graphite handled rods I've done.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2008 05:26PM

Karen,

This is a little off topic, but will the new Fishsticks have a front door open to the public? Area rod builders would no doubt like to know.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:43PM

Tom, Yes we will be available to the public. We would just ask that you call ahead of time. Thanks Scott Parsons

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster