I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed Reel Seat-shim or buy smaller?
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 02:30PM

I have a GTBTG16C-11.5-TC exposed blank casting reel seat which I'm planning on fitting to a XSB842 blank, both Batson numbers. At the position I want the seat, I will have to shim the ends of the seat.
This will leave a gap of approx .75 mm/ side in the "window" of the seat. Is it OK fill the gap with epoxy or should I just buy a smaller seat? 10 mm seems OK.
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed Reel Seat-shim or buy smaller?
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 02:33PM

John,
I would recommend going to a smaller ID reel seat and reaming it to fit. If you have a gap at the exposed portion of the seat it will be both unsightly and uncomfortable. You can try filling it with epoxy, but you will not be happy with the results. You may still have to shim to the threaded barrel portion of the seat, but probably not if it is sized properly.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:18PM

Id go for the smaller ID until it fits, shimming might effect the purpose of an exposed seat.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:24PM

Scott & Vern,
I agree.
I'll get the smaller reel seat on Monday.
Thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:30PM

You will desire the proper seat for that blank with no compromise or additional weight.

Consider the following fully exposed seat -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Use the contact us button at the following site for personal assistance with the set up.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 04:16PM

I would call Karry Batson. He helped design the seat
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2008 10:02PM

The reel seat should fit your hand, not the blank.

Date: October 26, 2008 12:14AM

You can also place a half shim and pull the blank towards the opening. Just a thought.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 12:52AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reel seat should fit your hand, not the
> blank.
>
> ..............

If he is using a 16 ecsm the size of the seat is the same, it's just the size of the opening that should be fit to the blank, right?

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2008 08:35AM

A bit of a twist gets thrown in with the advent of the exposed reel seats. You pretty much have to buy one that does indeed fit the blank and usually without much if any shimming.

I think you are correct that many of these share the same outside diameter and it is the inside diameter that differs. In that case you do want to buy the one that fits the blank the best. Remember that you can slightly ream most of these out if they're just a tad tight on the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.191.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 10:14AM

John:
Next time you order your parts, get the blank and seat from the same supplier and have them fit it. Just tell them how long your butt handle will be.

Date: October 26, 2008 01:49PM

John like Bill said, I would call Karry Baston and tell him The diameter of the blank where the reelseat well go and he well give you the right reel seat number to order.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 27, 2008 11:57AM

when i designed my line of rods i purchased all the blanks FIRST, then measured where the seats would fit with calipers, THEN ordered the reel seats. now i know that every time i order an 844 of Brand X, i will need a reel seat of this ID.

the manufacturer can measure the blank for you, but they can only guess where you will want to position your reel seat. you won't know either until you put that blank in your hand.

just food for thought...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster