I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My very 1st fly rod-
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:09PM

I bass fish somewhere just about every day and I've decided to try fly fishing for bass. Now I know nothing about fly rods -fly line -fly reels-fly rod baits or even what kind of equipment to buy. I have read that most bass angler’s fly rods are 4 to 6 wgt, but being a newbie to this I'm not sure. I guess what I'm asking for is all the help I can get. In all the fishing that I've done in the last 8 years I have seen but one fly rod angler and he was slaying them...I prefer to buy good equipment up front and not work my way from entry level up to better equipment .
Thanks in advance for your help
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My very 1st fly rod-
Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:46PM

Ken,
I fish for largemouth frequently with a fly rod. Two things to be considered when determining the line weight to use is the size of the bugs you plan to cast and also how much cover you'll be fishing in. If you're going to cast large Dahlbergs and popping bugs you're going to need at least a 6 wt. rod. Also if there's large fish and much cover at all you'll need the heavier rod. I usually use a pretty fast action 7 wt. with a WF bass taper line. I've built several bass rods but I keep coming back to my Loomis IMX 7 wt. as my favorite. It's a little heavy but it'll handle big bugs and big fish. Have fun. Later, E....

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 04:22PM

I agree with Eddie. I like 7 wts for bass flys - 7WF as well. To me, just have more options for bugs, poppers and clouser with a heavier rod. Plus, you can throw smaller flys with a heavier rod, but, can't throw bigger flys with a lighter rod. I throw 4/5 wts for perch and bluegill - now that's fun!

For bass, IMHO, go with a 7 wt, 9' blank. I have used the following and really like: 2x foot #12 stipper, another 2x foot #10 guide a couple of single #8 bumpers then single foot fly #7guides to the tip - want nine to 11 depending upon static and cast testing.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 08:35PM

Ken, what ia an average size bass in your area? Will you be fishing mostly from a boat or shore? Are there big bluegill in your main waters too? You're going to enjoy this venture!

Date: October 26, 2008 12:03PM

Thanks for the help in getting me headed in the right direction. Here is what I've decided on so far. I’ve decided on a 2 peice-IF907 9'-7wgt blank forecast r-x7 fly blank. While I'm not sure how forgiving this blank will be to a beginner, I think this is my rod choice. I'm sure the retailer will know if the tip is to fast for a beginner or not. When it come to line I found some labeled for "bass" in 7wt .I don't remember the brand now but Google knows. The reel seat and guides are my next decision. Eddie T suggested I go with 2x foot #12 stripper, another 2x foot #10 guide a couple of single #8 bumpers then single foot fly #7guides to the tip - want nine to 11 depending upon static and cast testing.
.Sounds OK to me but I'm not sure what 2xfoot means .again I'm sure the supplier will know. The lake I fish most often has a 15 inch limit but I seldom catch many that big. Usually around 12-14 inches or smaller
Well guys this is where I'm at, if anyone else cares to offer any help I certainly would appreciate the help
Thanks again for your help
Ken

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.92.56.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 12:36PM

Also if you want to save some money after you figure out all your parts, check out suppliers for sales. Some times you can get 40% off

Date: October 26, 2008 02:08PM

Hi Bill
I have always used this site's sponsors and see no reason to change. Although I do price compare from time to time, I just have confidence in this group suppliers...............................................\

Ken

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2008 02:32PM

Ken -

For bass that small, a 7wt will be overpowering and not much fun IMO. Consider something lighter. Your choice of a RX7 blank would be a good one for you - however, you might want to spend the extra few dollars and get a four-piece ... they are MUCH more portable.

Consider giving Bob at Custom Tackle (sponsor on left) a call. He is a Batson dealer, fly rod enthusiast AND himself a rod builder. He can most definitely get you setup from head-to-toe AND give you the personalized attention you need at this point. Don't try doing this via catalog or internet searches - you will most likely not be happy with the outcome.

Jim -

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 26, 2008 04:34PM

I'd also suggest at least a 7 wt if your going to be anywhere near cover, especially lily pads. I use deer hair sliders alot in and around pads, the equivalent the the bass anglers frog fishing. Anything thats tied up to imitate an eqivalent bass lure or worm will also have bigger hooks, usually with a wire or mono weedguard so a more powerful rod gives you a much better chance at getting the hook in the bass.
If you lean toward small fly offerings and lighter gear like Bill Byrd suggests, that the lighter rods you noted and even lighter will work if you don't mind having to go in and dig out your fish more often and losing at bit more gear to the cover conditions you're in.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 07:05PM

i'd go with the batson RX7 7wt. (it seems batson is moving away from the name "forecast"). good blank. go for the four piece. look at the pacific bay channel-lock reel seat . i used a CL8 in the dark grey Ti color (CL8 R-C) and it looks nice. full wells grip. and i used PB's removable fighting butt (F2M-T). i used two double foot stripping guides, a size 12 and 10, then single foot ceramic guides for the rest of the blank. an example would be pac bay's FX guide to the tip top.

for the size fish you mentioned a 6 might be nice but weed growth, possible wind and bigger bugs might require the 7wt. i think it's the safe bet.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 07:43PM

Ken - I fly fish for Bass and most of the rods I build are on RX7 blanks. I come down on the side of the 6wt recommendations. My personal favorite and one that I build for a lot of anglers is the IF906-4. It works for the majority of river and open lake fishing. Based on your comments about the lake you will be fishing most I think this blank would be a good match up. My guess is you will get addicted and there will be more fly rods in a variety of lengths in your future. For example, when I'm fishing S GA or FL I'll sometimes pull out a 9wt. Not for casting but for giving myself a chance to get a "hawg" out of cover.

I concur witht the suggestion to talk to Bob at Custom Tackle. In fact he and I just had a conversation about fly rodding for Smallies. Imo he know if stuff because if he's not at the shop he's out fishing with rods he builds.

btw a line to think about is a SA Mastery Headstart imo.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2008 07:51PM

Unless you're fishing in heavy cover or only take very large bass, I'd also tend to go with a 6-weight in an 8'6" or 9' model. You'll have a great deal of fun doing this. Count on it.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 11:22PM

I have a 9' 7wt that I use for bass, it works great. Also for brown trout, I got to use it the first time on browns the other day and landed one that was 23 1/2 inches and 7 3/4 pounds in heavy deep current, glad I had enough rod!

Posted by: Paul Hunt (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2008 08:33PM

I've been using an older 9' 6wt Sage RPL. Works great casting a WF7I line. I've caught plenty of bass to 5 lbs without issue. This set up also casts anything I've got the inclination to through.
Any good med fast to fast 6 or 7wt should do.

Date: November 06, 2008 07:15PM

Hello everyone I will be giving Bob at Custom Tackle Supply a call in the morning to order my blank. I’m still thinking 7 wgt but I will ask Bob his opinion. Any opinions on reels .I don't mind buying a good reel but I hate to buy one and it not do what I need it to do. What are we looking at 60-80 dollars? I’ve seen reels advertised from 29.99 all the way up to 700.00 dollars. To me that’s just "plum dumb".
Thanks for your time
Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster