I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting an IMX?
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:12AM

hey guys,

well my dad has just got back into building and he just purchased the P844 IMX popping blank to roll up into a snapper stick for over here in aus.

What he wants to do is paint the blank (probably a greeny color) but he is pretty "nah shell be right mate" in his building techinques and not as @#$%& bent on perfection as i am.

Now his plan that he just told me was to paint it with some paint which DOESNT have flex agent and put a coat of regular finish epoxy over the WHOLE rod.

:S :S In my opinion and im sure many of others, thatd be the last thing id want to do to a expensive blank.

So what im asking is how is it best done? if he must have it done im not gonna let him ruin a rod by not doing it properly.

would taking it to a auto shop and getting them to spray it and put a clear coat with the flex additive be the way to go?

Thanks guys, hopefully i can talk him out of the rod finish method before he does something @#$%& regret hahah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting an IMX?
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 09:05AM

When I researched the same subject, the consensus was to use an automotive paint with a clear. There were other options, but auto paint and a clear was the most recommended. Some did it themselves with a rattle can and others had it done professionally.

Here's a search for "paint blank". There are lots of relevant threads, though some not so much, that will give you some help.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 11:08AM

Putting a coat of finish epoxy over the whole rod will dramatically up the blanks weight. I sure wouldn't spend the money for an IMX blank than just add so much weight that it feels like a glass blank when your done. That blank in all it's graphites is one of my favorites.
If I was living down under, I'd personally be using less of our blanks and more of the CTS blanks, they also come in a larger color selection.

Posted by: Harold Krause (199.67.140.---)
Date: August 22, 2008 01:17PM

Tom,

I paint all of my blanks. I get old cheap rods to rebuild or the unfinished $4.95 blanks from Mud Hole. Since both of my choices require me to change or update the finish, my solution...paint them. I also like the idea of making them even more "custom" by letting the person the rod will be built for choose the colors or theme they want. I have done quite a few with different paints and have had various results, good and bad. I am getting much better though. The last two I did look like a true factory finish. The best paint I have used is Duplicolor car paint with Duplicolor clear coat (from a spray can). The quality looks great and seems very durable (no long term test to date, but no ill effects thus far).

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 01:29PM

Several times I mixed a color with Flex Coat (lite) and "painted" rods. Came out just fine.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 03:19PM

I to have used Duplicolor and have had very good luck. I have asked Duplicolor about flex agents in the rattle can and they said that the formula used in the spray can can be used on plastic bumpers. I have not had this paint crack on me yet! The only thing is the limited colors!

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2008 07:30PM

thanks fellas

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2008 08:58AM

Use a color pigment to tint some PermaGloss to your liking. Wipe on quickly ( a search here will tell more about doing this) and use 2 coats.

This gives you the hardest, toughest, longest lasting blank finish at the bare minimum of weight. It's also extremely flexible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster