I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OK TrondaK, what's up with the PG lid???
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2008 07:33PM

OK y'all know what happened. Third time I put the lid back on the perma-gloss jar.

seems to me that I read somewhere that i read somewhere on here about a storage can that you could vacuum air out of for perma-gloss.

Anyone on here sell these little cans?

I never used this stuff before and thought I would give it a whirl on my current rod. I haven't built up enough to tell if I'm going to like it or not but this lid thing sure is irritating.

I have been storing it capped in a plastic bag in the fridge. At the moment I have a heavy rubber band compressing the top half of the lid on, in a plastic bag int he fridge.

Anyway what do I do now???????????????????????

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2008 07:34PM by Ray Cover.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OK TrondaK, what's up with the PG lid???
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2008 07:48PM

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: August 17, 2008 07:54PM

Ray-I've seen the solution you're talking about-but don't remember exactly what was involved. I've kept mine usable by wiping clean top of bottle with a coffee filter before closing it up and using a Q-tip to clean cap. That's worked so far! Did not do this the 1st time I used it but was able to remove cap with Channel-Lock pliers without breaking it. Got lucky...... I think everybody learns the hard way with their 1st bottle.

Date: August 17, 2008 08:15PM

Thank you guys

Steve,

Mr Richards suggested a testors cap on that thread you link to. I happen to have some of those left over from the kids last round of awana derby cars.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris,

I have been trying to keep it clean but I think keeping it cold in the fridge made the plastic a bit more brittle than I was ready for. As a matter of fact I was very surprised it broke because I really had not applied a lot of force to it.

Anyway I think I will try the testors paint cap for now and see how that works out.

Ray

Date: August 17, 2008 08:15PM

Thank you guys

Steve,

Mr Richards suggested a testors cap on that thread you link to. I happen to have some of those left over from the kids last round of awana derby cars.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris,

I have been trying to keep it clean but I think keeping it cold in the fridge made the plastic a bit more brittle than I was ready for. As a matter of fact I was very surprised it broke because I really had not applied a lot of force to it.

Anyway I think I will try the testors paint cap for now and see how that works out.

Ray

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2008 08:51PM

I have mine fresh and usable for up to 7 years in a small paint can like you've heard mentioned. Probably would have lasted longer but I finally drained it completely.

Sammy Mickel brings them and sells them at the ICRBE each year complete with instructions. Try him here:

smickel3@lexcominc.net

Once you set up this way you won't bother with any other method for storing and using PermaGloss.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2008 08:54PM

[www.rodbuilding.org] Here is what I do.

Date: August 17, 2008 09:01PM

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Gonna have to try something else.

The testers paint lid does not fit my bottle ...............ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2008 10:53PM

The 4oz permagloss will accept the small testors paints metal caps. The smaller permagloss bottles may not? I always buy/use the 4oz.

When you use the testors cap the way I suggested in the links Steve put up, you will use just about every drop from the standard 4oz PG bottle with almost no waste.

DR

Date: August 17, 2008 11:17PM

That's the problem I have a 1oz bottle. I bought hte small one to try it out because I didn't know if I would like it or not.

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: August 18, 2008 09:36AM

Ray, I have no idea if what I do is right or not but all I do is pour off the amount I need in a glass container, wipe off the top cap and immediately put it back in the refrigerator. I keep it stored in the fridge and have kept and used it this way for up to a year with no problems. When I use it I minimize the exposure to air by taking out of the fridge. pouring out what I need and putting it back in the fridge immediately.

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: August 18, 2008 10:17AM

Ray,
I store my PG in a mason jar, with several silica dessicant packets. I pour out just the amount that I think I will need. Wipe the threads with a rag soaked in 91% isopropyl. Put the lid back on immediately, and then put the PG inside the mason jar, and put the lid on that.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 18, 2008 11:17AM

If there is a hydraulics component dealer or repair facility nearby you, measure the opening of your container and ask them for a CAPLUG to fit that size. I'm reletively sure that it will hold up to the xylene.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.92.236.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 18, 2008 03:56PM

After use, clean threads with paper towel. Very well. Put lid on BUT do not over tighten. Put in the refrigerator.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 18, 2008 07:49PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Blogging will not work for me as well as Ma Bell!

You have an email.

Bill

Posted by: Dan Metcalf (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 03:20PM

Hi Ray,

Sorry to take so long to respond. We make the Perma Gloss. Hardening in the bottle is the result of air moisture acting as a catalyst. Someone has probably already explained this to you. The easiest remedy is to pour the amount you need for the rod you are building into a separate container and work out of that. As soon as you pour some out wipe off the bottle lip and put the cap back on. Do not leave the bottle open any longer than it takes to pour what you need.

For the ultimate longevity do as Tom Kirkman suggested. Use a 4oz tin can with a proper spigot. He gave a good resource for that:

smickel3@lexcominc.net

Another good resource is Joe Kassuba with His Rod Shop: www.hisrodshop.com ; hisrodshop@charter.net

If you can put up with these extra precautions Perma Gloss will provide an excellent finish. It stays clear, it is very tough, easy to apply and adds only minimal weight to the rod compared to epoxies. It has always been one of our best selling products. Some use it to recoat the entire rod.

Kindest Regards,
Dan Metcalf
Trondak, Inc./U-40 Rod Building Products

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster