I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Another Perma Gloss question.
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 08:22PM

When you have tags after wrapping, and you cut them off after curing, can you put a dab of Perma
Gloss on the scar of cutting the tag? How long should you wait after curing?
I wish there was more info on the uses of Perma Gloss and the proper way to use it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Perma Gloss question.
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 08:44PM

I too have a question on the Perma gloss
I bought some at the show, but have never used it before. I also purchased a little can to put it in with the screw you run through the lower side.

My question is;
What would be the difference between using the can with screw at bottom and just inverting the bottle and threading the screw through the cap? And placing the bottle in say a cup keeping it upside down for storage?
Would the results be the same?
Or is there a reason for not doing it that way?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 09:04PM

Steve that makes too much sense . I think the cap may crack and you also want the PG to form a seal (air tight) to not allow moisture in. The can has been good to me. I have a can I got 2 years ago and filled to the top and it is good as the day I got it. The small void as opposed to a large void above the pg may make it hard to remove from the bottle when trying to use.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 09:16PM

Steve,

Try your trick but replace the plastic cap with a Testors model paint metal cap.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 09:56PM

All I can say is I have a 4 year old can that hasn't failed yet. I lost a bottle a long time ago and had even used the ball bearings the can is simple and it works. One other thing it doesn't get knocked over as easily as a bottle.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 10:00PM

William - you can experiment with it. It won't hurt to put PG over the epoxy, but just putting a dab on the area probably wont do the trick. you may have to add a coat of PG to the whole wrap.
much like bubbles however, its best to avoid the fuzzies from teh get go IME.

Steve - the cap on teh bottle from the factory is brittle. when i first used PG, i broke the cap by squeezing too tightly. this caused me to look for an alternate method of storage. You have the can, so you should be fine though I have no experience with the can. What I ended up doing was taking a jar with a metal lid, like from gerber baby food, and putting it in there. then putting a 1/8" hole in the center of the top of the jar. I seal it with two small peiced of blue painters tape. i then put it in a plastic ziploc bag with one of those little keep fresh packets. then i squeeze all the air out of the bag and put it in the refrigerator. it might be overkill, but it works for me.
I think you'll like the PG based on the conversation we had the other night, it'll be exactly what you are looking for

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 10:07PM

i am going to try keeping my bottle in the frig in a vacuum cannister from food saver. experiment is one , will post later with success rate.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 10:07PM

The can technique works well for PermaGloss storage. Mine has kept the PG flowing for over 3 years.

Stan

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.62.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 11:00PM

William, Permagloss is a finish. You apply it in light coats over what you want to finish. Best blank finish around, great wrap finish too, though it takes many coats. Apply it with anything lint free. I routinely apply a coat over epoxy finish. A finish for finish. I wouldn't recommend more than one coat over epoxy though. That's asking for trouble. I usually wait 3 days minimum to put PG over epoxy. If you just try to cover the scar with a dab, it will be noticeable, as it is with epoxy, at least to a rodbuilder. It takes a bit of practice to get used to it, just like anything else. Don't expect a one coat "dab" with good results. You'll see the seam.

Steve, DR is the guy who, I believe, figured out that a Testors cap fits on the large bottle of permagloss and that's where he puts his screw. Brilliant, by the way, DR. As mentioned, the plastic cap breaks up way too easily.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 11:25PM

Yep,

The Testors cap was my idea, works like a CHARM Steve. All you have to do is replace the plastic cap with the metal testors cap (I do take the plastic liner out of the plastic PG cap and use it in the metal testors cap). THATS IT. When you remove the testors cap and pour out what you need, just replace the cap, tilt the bottle upside down once-forms a seal-and sit it back on the shelf upright and you'll never have permagloss trouble period. I use about 3.6oz of my 4oz bottle before it starts to thicken. And mine sits on the shelf a LOT as I dont use much PG at all-1 bottle a year maybe? No can, no ice box, no nothing. Why on earth U-40 doesnt do away with the plastic cap and go to a metal one is BEYOND ME, it's such a simple easy fix.

DR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 11:34PM

Thanks Guys for the input

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 12:19AM

Here's another Perma Gloss question that I can't find an answer to: Can you use Perma Gloss to coat waterslides and stick-on labels? As a base for labels? I bought a bottle to try, and glad you guys brought up the cap issue. I'll try DR's cap method.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 01:28AM

Darrell: I would be afraid to put PG directly on a decal of any kind. I have read stories on here where the PG melted the decals. You could do a search and get a bunch of information on the subject.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 02:25AM

The reason the PG can technique works so well is the chemistry/physics of saturated solutions. In the can above the liquid saturated solution of PG is a vapor staturated solution of PG. As liquid is drawn off from below the liquid surfac more PG vaporizes to fill the volume above the liquid PG with a saturated solution and so it goes until the liquid PG is used up. No atmosphere (humidity) gets into the can so the PG last and stays very useable over a few years depending on how much you use. I have on can that I have purposely used small amounts from for more going on 5 years and it still is useable.
Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 02:41AM

Can you just purchase the Testor caps? or where can I purchase cheap small bottles so that I can distribute?

Thanks,
MT

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 09:01AM

Mo,

Any Testors Paint or thinner (hint here!) in the 1/4oz size has the metal cap, this cap fits the 4oz permagloss bottle perfectly. Any hobby shop, craft store, model car and plane stores all carry Testors paints.

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 09:32AM

Thanks guys. I have learned a lot about PG and always, I appreciate it. Good RB&F! Bill

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 09:41AM

re PG in the refrigerator:
Doesn’t PG cure via the moisture in the air? I think Josh’s ‘keep fresh’ packet idea is good, but if I were to hazard a guess, I’d have to guess that the environment in MY refrigerator would be incompatible to keeping anything dry . . . ?

– smc –

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:32AM

Can,t say about the atmosphere in your refrigerator but I have a bottle I've used from several times and stored in the refrigerator and it's been about a year. Took some out last week and it was still fine.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:49AM

Can anyone tell me who's carrying PermaGloss? I have looked on a few websites, but I haven't been able to find any.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster