I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any new news on nanotech rods/blanks
Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 09:30PM

I was astounded the first time I heard that rods/blanks could be made from nanoparticles found in vegetable fibers: carrots and turnips I think were the two mentioned in the article I read. I think 'carrot sticks' are based on this type of technology, right?

Have any (or many) of these rods and blanks made it out to rod builders yet?

Next they will have bacteria building rods...just pour in some food, add a little water, and in three days a whole colony of microscopic 'bugs' will knit you a rod to your exact specifications.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any new news on nanotech rods/blanks
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 09:53PM

What you read may sound astounding but be very careful to interpret the printed words very carefully. The following quote in the next paragrapn is taken from the literature on a rod that utilizes nano rich epoxy. This rod still uses graphite and other materials in a prepeg. The nano technology really says that a nano fiber is added to the resin component. You dentist probably used adhesives containing nano fibers when working on you mouth.

"state of the art Multi-Fiber Filament winding combined with the latest advances in Carbon Fibre Nano Tube epoxy resin systems. In the lower portion of the blank, graphite fibers are combined with a new S2 glass fiber at a ratio of one fiber of glass for every one and one half fibers of graphite. When these fibers are bonded with a NANO rich epoxy the result is a super strong yet light butt section"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2008 01:17PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2008 08:57AM

Bio-fibers will be the future material of rod blank construction. The ability to utilize a material with a modulus similar to current carbon fibers, but stronger and able to be molded or poltruded, will revolutionize the tubular shaft industry within 10 years. It will also result in more verbatim powers and actions in the same models, reduce labor involved defects and over time, reduce the cost of making a blank.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.194.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 09:48AM

It sounds like the "nano" part of this technology currently applies to the epoxy matrix rather than the main structural fibers? In any case, it's good to learn that the benefits of S-glass are being utilized and recognized.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2008 10:29AM

Phil,

You're exactly right. And in many cases the term "nano" is just a marketing buzzword at this point.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 09:56PM

I think that Tom is correct with his estimate that nano-technology is going to have a dramatic affect on blank construction in the near future. And I agree about the modulus of elasticity and strength being the key properties that will be affected, particularly the tensile and compresive strengths. In fact, there is not much point in increasing the modulus of elasticity over what we have today until the strengths are increased. Remember that strain energy or toughness decreases as modulus of elasticity increases so higher modulus of elasticity without an increse in strength will make a lighter blank but one that is more fragile.
As far as nano-technology dramatically improving the properties of the resin that is being used in the prepreg is concerned, I think that is some of the marketing hype that Tom mentioned. The resin in prepreg must have higher strain than either the carbon fiber or the scrim or it will fracture first. Another way of looking at it is; the resin is designed to be lower modulus or to be more plastic and less elastic, in other words less elastic and more plastic, than the carbon fiber or the scrim. So adding higher modulus nano-technology material to the resin is bogus.

Date: August 09, 2008 10:29PM

Emory your wording calling nano technology additions to resins bogus may be a little harsh at this stage of the game. Many people are currently working on new things that will impact our lives in the future. I for one hope that if advances can be made in materials used for rod blanks that I am around long enough to see them.

This link describes that the addition of nano particles does improve the physical properties, even strength, of thermoplastic resins - who knows they may work for new systems for rod blanks as well. The final proof will be in the products of the future and not what some may think. I wonder if the word graphite was every accused of being marketing hype?

[www.jobwerx.com]

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2008 11:05PM

Bill,
Reading over that site did not change my mind and I stand by everything that I said above. But I do thank you for pointing out the site to me. The links along the right hand side, particularly the one titled "Curious About Nanotek" look really interesting and I am sure that I will learn a good deal when going over them.

Date: August 10, 2008 08:58AM

Emory here is the basis for my present position:

I tend to always look outside of the box at all times and am far too gullible about hype and just have to check out many claims that end up as bogus. If the price was right I might even consider making a down payment on the Brooklyn Bridge to Billy V.

I do have an understanding and appreciation for the physical science concerns you have.

A present day rod blank is comprised of long structural fibers and resin in the shape of a hollow tapered cylinder.

The flexibility and weight of blanks is presently controlled by modulus of long continuous linear fibers. Desires for less weight and more stiffness have driven the market in finite directions.

Manufacturers recognize the primary failue of the blanks is compressive in nature on the bottom of the cylinder.

These failures are structural in nature and are not caused by exceeding the upper limits of the physical properties of the long linear graphite fibers.

Nano fibers presently in use in many new products are exceedingly small - microns.

If someone can develop a material of the future which possesses the desired stiffness of the mix of resin and nano particles or cylinders then a very thin wall material could be produced with other processes to produce a product like Tom invisions.

Wouldn't it be wild if a vendor sold a tube of paste that you could extrude the blank of your choice. Who knows 20 years from now you may be able to buy your fishing rod in a tube at the drugstore!

I hope it is not 10 years away!

I would like for you and I to fish with one. Together!

The guy that develops it will probably will not get the due credit nor share in the profits that are made by the ones that write the hype and bring it to the market.

Bill

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2008 11:42AM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster