I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap guide spacing
Posted by: Rob Puskas (98.21.164.---)
Date: July 19, 2008 08:27AM

I am going to try my hand at wrapping one of my All Star 7.5' blanks in a spiral wrap. My question is this, is there a formula for figuring out the guide spacing for an acid wrap, I did a search but did not really come up with what I am looking for.
Thanks Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap guide spacing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2008 08:43AM

There are many spiral wrap methods fully detailed in RodMaker Magazine.

In the meantime, do a search on this forum for "simple spiral" and I think you can turn up enough information to get you what you want.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 09:52AM

The only rule is: There are no rules!

You can space the guides the same as you do a conventional and do the spiral thing from there.

I have a mental thing that I don't put the butt guide less than 18 inches from the seat. and the first 180 guide has to be before the flex point.

I make spiral surf rods and put the butt guide on the ferrule. The rest of the guides go on the tip. I use light(single foot) guides for the runners and double footed for the transition guides.

Like Tom says, there are many methods which he aptly explains in his magazine. Try them all to find what you need. One method will work best for casting, while the other works best for pulling. All are no torque. Try them and I'm sure that you'll like it. I haven't wrapped a rod conventionally in possibly 8 years.

Hope this helps. C2

Posted by: ray sheker (---.255.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 10:28AM

what issue of the rodmaker magazine is that?

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 03:09PM

Volume 6 Issue #5 That issue also has an outstanding article on color change weaving by Jim Upton. Well worth the price of admission! c2

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 03:19PM

Also look up "Revolver Rod" for more info.

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2008 12:20PM

Rob, The way I learned is by purchasing a spiral wraped rod from a custom builder. I would start by duplicating the guide placement , rubber band the guides in place and test cast and tie my line to various weights to mimic fighting and pulling on a fish. Modify my guide placement and start over again until I got it just right . Take note of the position of the butt guide , that will determain how even the line will spool on the reel. Often , the butt guide will have be clocked in the opposite direction of the other transition guides.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2008 03:04PM

Joseph;
That depends largely on the reels. I build all spiral wraps, off set my stripper guides in the same direction of the rest of the wrap and have never had or seen a problem with line gathering to one side.
But all the rods I build are bass rods set up to use with reels that that line guides. I do use these same rods to do some surf and inshore fishing at times.

So I would suggest determining what type of reels one would be using before deciding whether you need to offset the stripper guide in the opposite direction as this may cut down on casting distance a bit because of the side pressure put on the line as it goes through the counter offset stripper guide.

On reels without line guides where you control the line lay by your thumb offsetting may have and advantage, but that will be influenced by which direction you spiral and which hand you use to hold your rod.

Posted by: Joseph Bailleaux (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2008 12:16AM

Steve , I agree with you . My butt guides are clocked in the same direction as my transition guides on my bass and inshore rods. I build mostly light -med tackle offshore boat rods.
The larger and wider spool reels often needs the butt guide clocked in the opposite direction than the transition guides. I do set up the guides with the reel that will be mounted on the rod. The closer the butt guide is to the reel face the more cridical it becomes to clock the butt guide in the proper position to prevent uneven line build up on the reel. A heavy crank bait that requires a lot of effort on the reel handle will have effect on uneven line build up on a reel. I will reel in and drag a 1lb lead weight across the back yard for test purposes.

Steve , I set my butt guides 12.5in. from the reel face and often use a size 20 high frame surf guide in order to keep the line off the foregrip. I will also use up to 9 guides on a 7ft. rod.
I know the distance from the reel face to the butt guide is closer than it needs to be in most cases and the number of guides I use imore than necesary. I build my rods this way with the intended purpose of achieving full use of the power and dynamics of the entire length of rod blank . If a rod I build is over loaded and breaks , I hope it breaks in front of the hand thats pulling on the foregrip.

I believe Charlie Smoote has it right when he said: " the first 180 guide has to be before the flex point " . Seeker Rods would call that the last shut off point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster