I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master Epoxy
Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 07:15AM

I like the Threadmaster epoxy for its gel characteristics, but don't find it easy to get a perfect 50 50 mix. I use a finish spatula right now, and try to get equal amounts. But, since it doesn't flow out it is hard to get an accurate measure other than just using the eye. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Or, is this just how it is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master Epoxy
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 07:51AM

use the FlexCoat syringes

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 08:23AM

warm the bottles in your poket or HAND HOT water then use syringes

Posted by: Brad Young (75.136.193.---)
Date: July 19, 2008 08:39AM

I dont think that you are talking about Threadmaster finish. I find also hard just like you. Trying to get the paste to match up before mixing. I just eyeball it.

Date: July 19, 2008 08:54AM

Right Brad, I'm talking about the 15 min and 5 min epoxies. Thanks Herb. I didn't even try my syringes, I didn't think they would suck the stuff up. Guess I should have tried.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2008 08:58AM

The epoxy adhesive should be mixed 50/50, but it's not nearly as critical as the epoxy finish is in that regard, In fact, it was formulated so that you can be off by a bit and it will still cure perfectly. The makers know that gel epoxy adhesive is going to be "eyeballed" for the mix and have taken that into account.

You're okay just as you're doing it now.

Date: July 19, 2008 09:02AM

Thank you Tom and everyone else for the responses. I'll keep on keepin on. Hopefully have some pics of my "new" handle/reelseat up soon. I don't think anyone has tried what I've done, not that I know of.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 02:10PM

15min epoxy: I use 2 popsickle sticks, load one and lay it on foil, then load the other and try and match the size "glob" to the 1st stick, Works pretty well as I usually end up with 2 empty jars and no excess.

DR

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 02:46PM

Duane Richards (DR) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 15min epoxy: I use 2 popsickle sticks, load one
> and lay it on foil, then load the other and try
> and match the size "glob" to the 1st stick, Works
> pretty well as I usually end up with 2 empty jars
> and no excess.
>
> DR

Works for me too. :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Guadalupe Raya (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 03:34PM

i bought some veterinary syringe int the 60 cc and filled them with rod bond it work perfect i still haven't tried the gel yet but it should work good with the gel

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2008 07:39PM

Good point - the large "mono-ject" type veterinary and hobby syringes are large enough to pack the gel epoxies in and still be able to dispense the stuff easily.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 12:16AM

Another way to do it is with a small measuring spoon. We have a set of stainless steel measuring spoons available in the kitchen sectionof most stores that carry cooking stuff.

Scoop a measure of one of the gel parts, and make sure you LEVEL the spoonful. Drop it on a mixing board or into a finish cup. Now wipe the spoon absolutely clean and scoop out the other half, and LEVEL it. Drop this glob onto the mixing board or into the cup.

Spend a good five-six minutes mixing it thoroughly, unless of course it's the five-minute gel and then you only need a minute or so. You'll feel it "release".

That's it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 12:16AM

Another way to do it is with a small measuring spoon. We have a set of stainless steel measuring spoons available in the kitchen sectionof most stores that carry cooking stuff.

Scoop a measure of one of the gel parts, and make sure you LEVEL the spoonful. Drop it on a mixing board or into a finish cup. Now wipe the spoon absolutely clean and scoop out the other half, and LEVEL it. Drop this glob onto the mixing board or into the cup.

Spend a good five-six minutes mixing it thoroughly, unless of course it's the five-minute gel and then you only need a minute or so. You'll feel it "release".

That's it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster