I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal question(s)
Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 10:38AM

First post by a "newb" here. Been lurking for almost a year. Great site and have learned *SO* much. Have built a bunch of rods but am REALLY struggling with decals. Know that some of sponsors have great service and products for decals, but, I really want to create my own for the flexibility.

I have been using the "decal method" by Dave Rogers, but just cannot get them to work. I worked out the problems that I had with air/bubbles and the last set I did looked great after I put the finish on (flexcoat). But, when I came back to check the next AM, the color had bled/clouded over. I think I am getting enough of the Klear Koat on prior to application, but, just can't get to work.

I was going to try Tom Kirkman's method using paper, and I also have access to a laser printer that I was going to try - just got the laser decal paper. But, I was really curious what others use to make and apply their decals.

Thanks,
Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal question(s)
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 11:06AM

Eddie -

For what it is worth, I also wanted complete flexibility. I tried inkjets, laser printers, calligraphy pens, etc. on every type of paper with all the different methods and coatings. End result after much time, expense and frustration ... Decal Connection.

FYI, I did have suitable results ... sometimes. I could never achieve consistent results AND it was never easy - two clicks and a few bucks and it is all over but the application.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 19, 2008 11:33AM

I make my own customized individual decals as needed. See: [www.shockwaverods.com] for a few examples.

I print on adhesive backed white vinyl medium from Papillio with an inkjet printer. This makes a decal that is almost bullet proof and requires no pre or post preperations.

Just print, apply and coat with epoxy.

My software is Corel Draw and I can put almost anything on a decal including pictures of people, fish, kids, wife, girlfriend etc etc. One is limited only by his imagination.

I have even learned to make a 360 degree decal with paralled edges. Not an easy trick with a tapered rod.

Hope this helps ,or at least gives you some new ideas.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2008 02:39PM

Thanks, guys.

Jim, that is what I am running into; want to get consistent results. Even my "bad" results are not consistent. I have contacted Decal Connection, and they have been super helpful and nice - very fast turn around on responding to my questions. If I cannot get something that is repeatable and looks "professional" with what I have, going to get them to convert my logo (curently in photoshop and visio) over to the raster image and use them. This is my final attempt at "home made" - which would be great and convenient but if if looks like garbage, it's of no value.

Bobby,
Thanks for the information on the papilio paper. I have noticed the decals on your site before – admirer of your work – but I figured you had some super hi-tech ALPS or similar printer doing those. Very impressive. Can you tell/verify for me this is what you are using? Want to make sure I have this right before I order.

[www.texascraft.com]

If you have a supplier or someone on line you work with, would welcome the information.

Thanks for the help. Looks like you have provided EXACTLY what I have been looking for.

Thanks,
Eddie

Date: July 19, 2008 03:39PM

Sorry, no ALPS, just a common ole HP.

Your link shows the exact medium I use and I purchase online from them.

If I don't waste too much, my cost is probably around 20 to 30 cents per decal.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 12:10AM

Like Bobby and some others, we make our own.

We use the Testor's "Custom Decal System". Yes, these are thesame people who make the model airplane paints.

These decals can be had in "clear" or "white" paper backing. Testor's makes a complete kit, including the papers, software, and a fixative. The only thing you'll need separately is some Micro Set which youo can order from the same folks as a separate item.

This kit is made to create decals from any inkjet printer, but the better resolution you can produce, the better your decals wil be. We have an HP 7410 for ours. You do not need special inks, special printers, or special anything - just what's in the kit. You can use your own images (jpg is best) and the learning curve is low.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 04:36PM

Bobbie where did you get the Papillio paper you use.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 20, 2008 07:46PM

Bob

Try this:

[www.texascraft.com]

Bobby

Posted by: Robert Russell (12.21.47.---)
Date: July 20, 2008 10:09PM

Thanks Bobby and Russ. I'm going to give both your methods a try.

Robert

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 20, 2008 11:59PM

Thank you Bobbie. I believe they have what I was looking for
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster