I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Castaway Blank Tip Failure
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:26PM

I nailed it, although I did miss out on teh species of the fish which broke the rod. Not bad for a city slicker. I happen to deadstick a bit, adn I know the pressure the rod see when a fish picked up a bait and is pulling, as I'm trying to slid the rod out of the holder. IT's teh same reason teh trolling Offshore guys use aluminum butts to get them in/out of the holders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:50PM

I'd have a hard time warrantying the rod, nothing done by you or the factory was at fault in any way. Overlined, big fish, little reel, it was destined to happen.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:54PM

Bill

Just like it reads.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 07:56PM

After reading this; No warranty would apply!!!

Date: July 03, 2008 09:21PM

Bill

Stupid me didn't see that we were on the second page of this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 07:07AM by Bobby Feazel.

Date: July 03, 2008 09:49PM

Bill

My third try to respond.

My warranty stands as written.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 10:13PM

Bobby I understand from your warranty that you would replace this rod with no questions asked.

I have decided to charge a $ 50 expedited replacement fee - if he had given me the opprotunity to rebuild at MY conveinience I would probably have followed your policy.

It is now done and he has his new rod and is happy with the results - I now hope he wins and makes the TV stage with the winning trout.

Breakage, Abuse, Use are all kind of muddled up in this business and hurt us all

Date: July 04, 2008 07:03AM

Bill

My warranty would apply exactly as it reads.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 04, 2008 09:27AM

Bobby I am quite sure your do understand "Laganippe" - where you live is the perfect example - sitting in Tejas' building rods and looking out the picture window in your mansion - viewing Pelican State on the other bank! Now the main thing that is bothering me since you "Played Your Engineers Card" is when do you combine Nano with Micro?

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 06, 2008 09:11AM

Hi,

Good story!

First, I believe that others will agree that I try to bend over backwards for my customers. Maybe that is why my back hurts now and then.

Second, #1 being said, as a rod user I would NEVER expect a company to replace a rod that I had broken thru misuse, stupidity, or what ever you want to call it. That is just WRONG and an example of what is wrong with society today, ME FIRST!!!

We have the rod/blank companies to thank for this! Your time and my time is valuable. We are talking misuse here not blank failure or design/construction problem.

I gladly give my rods to people, sometime for advertising reasons and other times because I like the person or it is for a good cause.

My warrantee is that I will build you a new rod, if the blank manufacturer replaces the blank ,for 1/2 the present labor rate plus cost of any components. My customers appreciate that.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: July 07, 2008 03:08PM

I'm not exactly sure how this is the angler's fault. In my opinion, a saltwater rod to be used in a boat should not have a split grip for precisely this reason. This 'full fish weight pulling on a rod in a holder' scenario can happen in several ways. Getting spooled is rare, but getting the line wrapped around the tip, having the drag set too tight, or getting the line tangled up in the reel itself (e.g. a birds nest) happens not infrequently. A full grip would have protected the blank considerably, and the line may have parted before the rod broke.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2008 10:48PM

No need for a full grip, just make the handle sections in the split grip a bit longer for SW and Rodney Rodholders. A tangle around the tip, overlining like that would just put the break higher up the blank if the butt was better protected like you say. At the same time, I gotta ask how deep were those rod holders?

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.dnr.state.md.us)
Date: July 08, 2008 03:39PM

Ted Morgan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
A tangle around the tip,
> overlining like that would just put the break
> higher up the blank if the butt was better
> protected like you say.

Maybe, or maybe the line would break at the knot. Impossible to say, but a full grip adds a LOT of protection against breakage. I bet it would take twice the strain (or more) by keeping all the force from hitting one tiny spot on the rod. It is telling that the rod broke at it's thickest spot- there in the butt. Would be an interesting thing to test.

Rod holders are not standard at all. They come in all kinds of depths and configurations.

Don't get me wrong, I love split grips. I use them on 90% of the spinning and casting rods I've made in the last few years. But never for boat rods.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster