I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Castaway Blank Tip Failure
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 09:21AM

The first three that send an email with the correct reason for this "blank tip failure" through the Contact Us Button on the link [www.swamplandtackle.com] will discover the true meaning of "Lagnaippe" with the shipment of their next order.

I received a call from the coast from a guy entered in the huge Speckled Trout Fishing Rodeo held at Venice, La on July 4 - 6 and the story goes something like this.

"The tip of the rod broke off on one of the Castaway heavy rods you built me for the tournament. I was practicing when it broke and YOU have to replace the rod. I will come by Wednesday night to give you this one back".

He drives up and hands me this! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Me - long blank stare and say nothing!

Him - This thing just broke with a big fish on - Can you have the replacement done so I can pick it up late tomorrow (Thursday)?

Yep I will get it done and decide later on how much the replacement fee will be - it will be a minimum of $ 50 expedited replacement - he leaves - I put together another one.

About two hours later the guy that was in the boat with him called and asked me if his buddy had returned the blank for warranty replacement.

He tells me the truth!

When we have the three winners I will detail a new and highly unique reason for the failure of a blank.

Sorry Chuck Mills but you are officially disqualified and you will have to place an order to figure out just what "Lagnaippe" really means and do not spill the beans to any of your consorts.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2008 09:31AM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Castaway Blank Tip Failure
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 09:38AM

It's the Logo (Cast-Away) its split down the middle

He casts
And the Front part
Goes away

Either that or it got attacked by his prop while he was using it for a push pole.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 09:43AM

LOL!!!! Great one Steve... it was the logo's fault!

I know what "Lagnaippe" means...

I believe you should appreciate the talent it took to break the BUTT while fighing a fish. That fish was so HUGE that he had that rod dug into his belly so hard and then that rod just snapped off in the fight. I can see it now... the fish went left, the belly went right... the rod had to give somewhere...

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 03, 2008 10:03AM

I would say he had the butt of the rod in a fixed rodholder, and was deadsticking a live bait. A big redfish hits he bait and freight trains away. Guy cannot get teh rod out of the holder, teh butt is stuck and the pressure from teh fish combined with the edge of the rod holder sitting between teh grips caused a stress point which caused teh blank to break. Problem with that theory is if that did happen teh front section of te rod with the reel probably would have gone over.

Posted by: David Teague (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 11:02AM

I have actually have done that before Billy, with a BIG stripped bass or what I thought was big at the time...course I didn't lose the front section of the rod because I had my hand on it at the time...broke the blank in the same place as the picture...but did catch the fish...but it only turned out to be a 22 pounder..then I was more mad about what I did to the rod...would have been worth it for a 50+ fish

Dave

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 11:03AM

Hey that's not fair! I can't even remember what I had for supper last night...so how could I remember our email conversation???

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 11:12AM

"Problem with that theory is if that did happen the front section of the rod with the reel probably would have gone over."

His partner made a second cast and caught the subsequent fish recovering the tip section (BTW that's a long tip section) and the fish (lol).

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: July 03, 2008 11:44AM

That is hilarious. Blank Failure? Probably more like brain failure.
Tip? I guess anything that is not the butt is the tip, right? So, yeah, the tip broke.
Cause....
I do not think it was a prop break beacause I do not see multiple ticks in the blank.
Do not think it was a car door or ceiling fan; the two main cause of my tip breaks.
Given that the bottom part was cut clean, yet the "tip" (still funny) shows splintering leads me to think that it was snapped and not blunt force trauma.
I think it was secured in a type of holder and then a force applied, similar to what David and Billy said above.
However, I probably need to be more specific to get the prize....
How about, it was in a holder and he was trolling and the line got caught in the prop snapping the pole, but he managed to stop the prop prior to it eating the pole. ?

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 12:20PM

Since you said tip...I'd throw out a weird completely random guess he was poking an alligator with it. :)

Anyhow, I too have broken a HEAVY tackle rod across a rod holder by leaving it in a rod holder while bottom fishing for red snapper and went to grab a drink. 2 seconds later...SNAAAPPP. Any my buddy told me not to do that since that would happen. I felt SMART....

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 03, 2008 12:22PM

If I win, I might need a dictionary instead of whatever Lanky pipe is.... which scares me to find out

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 03, 2008 12:24PM

I'll go with Rodney RodHolder as well, but I'll say our "big fish" was actually him falling over onto the rod in the holder when his buddy hit the gas.

OR......... he totally whiffed a shot at a big fish, or lost one, then lost his marbles and snapped it over his leg!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ferc.gov)
Date: July 03, 2008 01:00PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first three that send an email with the
> correct reason for this "blank tip failure"
> through the Contact Us Button on the link
> [www.swamplandtackle.com] will discover the
> true meaning of "Lagnaippe" with the shipment of
> their next order.
>

When I reply using the contact us button w/ your email address listed for "bil"; I get an error message:
"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. [email protected]"

Do you need a second "l" on your email address?

Oh yeah, my guess is that he snapped the rod as he was falling out of the boat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2008 01:05PM by Blake Condo.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 02:20PM

I'll go with, he was digging in a compartment laid the rod on the edge, and slipped. When the lid came crashing down the blank was crushed and snapped.

I had to try something a little different, even though I don't think the saltwater guys have as many compartment doors as some of us in fresh.

Joe

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 03:01PM

I've got 3 theorys......1) Someone stepped on it right between the grips. 2) Slammed a compartment lid on it. 3) Poking at a Gator or a big Snapping Turtle ( I like that one).

I don't think he had a fish on when it happened. If the rod was in a holder, It should have broken above the reel seat somewhere.

I'm like Billy,,,,what in Sam Hill is Lanky pipe ????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2008 03:09PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 03:21PM

Lanky pipe is a long narrow section of pipe.

The picture looks like something I might do. I just don`t know what I would do to cause it to break.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 04:03PM

Lagnaippe - someone reversing Billy's "h" and "e" key everytime he types "teh" - a little special gift...

Sorry couldn't resist.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 04:39PM

I don't know what specifically broke the rod, but you can bet it will be placed under the catagory of STUPIDITY.

On the other hand I am proud to say that I do know what "Lagnaippe" is because I was raised in good ole Louisiana.

It was the name of my college year book. Unfortunately I had to finish my engineering degree before I learned the meaning.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Date: July 03, 2008 05:12PM

Bobby F. - I surely would appreciate your advice. I have carefully read your written Warranty and think it is very well written and provides the customer with maximum of coverage. When we get a third winner I will post how this happened - after reading it please let me know if YOU think he should be immediately advanced to YOUR category of a Three Time Looser!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 05:56PM

I'm gonna go w/ "he used it as a grab bar when pulling himself into the boat, after a wade". You guys do wade down there, don'tcha?

Date: July 03, 2008 06:27PM

Jerry the the people on the East side of the Sabine stay in the boats while in the marsh to insure Clyde de Gators' family eat only nutria and other varmits.

We ave had three winners and will not require "Billy Pink Shoes" to make a purchase to get his just Lagnaippe. I can assure you it will be quite fitting!

Here is the truth!

Two very high profile fishermen had four 8 inch live croakerbaits free swimming weightless under production platform in 20 feet of water - Target large sow speckled trout for entry into money tournament - the croakers were hooked Kagoo Style to make them do the Dance of the Doomed!

Rod built on Castaway 874 (not exactly a speckled trout rod to start with) - Calcutta 200 loaded with 80 braid. Multiple use not prohibited by tournament rules - after this it may be! - It was all caught on TV Camera. 21 ft center console bay boat.

Both fishermen had a fish on and the other two rods were still in the rodholders. Guess what Whamo on third rod! They could not get loose from what they had in hand - the reel got spooled all the way to the knot and the 40 # Jack Crevaille snapped the thing at the crimp in the rodholder!

The fibers on the rod did not pull completely into until one of them twisted it and make the separation break and the fish was hand lined to the boat -

Bobby F. - After reading this how would you apply your warranty -

Gon Fishn

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster