I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on Fly Rod Hook Keeper Placement
Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 09:25AM

I have seen hook keepers that are aligned with the guides and ones that are 90 degrees to the side. Is there any reason to prefer one placement over the other? I have a 9 foot 5 weight fly rod that I am building and I want to place the hook keeper correctly. Thanks. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Fly Rod Hook Keeper Placement
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2008 09:50AM

I quit putting hook keepers on my fly rods altogether, since I got to the point I never use them. In order to keep the end of the fly line outside of the tip top, I hook the fly on the stripper guide support and wrap the leader back around the reel. If I were to put a hook keeper on, I would probably prefer it on the side facing my line hand (the hand I'm not holding the rod with). It would be easier to release the fly than it it was on the bottom. I have one rod with a hook keeper on the casting hand side and it is a real pain in the a**. If you are building for someone else and decide to put it on the side, make sure you know which hand the cast with.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2008 10:26AM

I'd put it straight down, on the bottom of the rod. Anywhere else and on such a cast where you may have the line flip over the top of the rod, it will catch and hang on the keeper.

I like Bob's idea and it's what I use. You can also stick the fly hook into that little opening at the junction of reel foot and reel seat hood.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 03, 2008 01:34PM

There are two factors involved in the placement of a hook-keeper.

1) Keep the hook-keeper out of the line of the line coming off the spool. So, for a spinning rod, don't put it on the bottom of the rod. For a casting rod, don't put it on the top of the rod. Treat a fly-rod like a spinning rod.

2) Where the customer wants it. Some people will tell you they grab the lure with one hand or the other and that becomes the side you want to place it on.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.bras01.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 01:28AM

On a fly rod put it straight down as Tom said. Period. There is no other better place. On top or sides you line will loop over it. Totally true. Straight down......The line comes off the bottom of the fly reel. The hook keeper on the bottom of the rod just in front of the grip is not going to get in the way of anything. It is no where near where the line is coming off the reel. Put a temporary guide on top and put it about one inch out. Go fish. You will soon find out. As Bob said he fished with one on the side and it was a PIA. As Tom said if not on bottom line will catch on it. All true. Mr. Charlton....I like hook keepers. I know all about wrapping it around the reel and up to a guide. I do not like to do that. I like a hook keeper. Put it where "the man" suggested. Mr. Kirkman says on the bottom. You will be satisfied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2008 12:19PM by Jim Williams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster